RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rossi 65 prop...
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 02:02 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rossi 65 prop...

OK I tried the 8.8 X9 pylon prop on the 65..it turned up some dang high R's..tach wouldn't pick it up, skiny blades and overcast...I don't know. I was trying to read thru the prop, no way I was standing in front of it. This is the first prop the trusty (?) Futaba tach wouldn't read.

Damn near broke my finger flipping it when it was loaded up a bit. Ouch puts it mildly.

But anyway..the way it would just wrap up instantly, just didn't seem to be absorbing the power like I thought it ought to. So thinking back on some of the post from Dustflyers thread...

I took a 11 X 12 and cut it down to 8.75". Replicated the shape of a 9 X 8, put the undercamber back on the rear face, it looks just like a stock APC except the larger hub (already drilled for 8MM!!) and got the LE and TE sharp just like a stocker. I am real happy with the final result..took an hour to do one prop, but it balances every direction, and I made a masking tape template to be certain the blades are exactly the same shape. Wet sanded with 400 grit to be sure there are no surface cracks..

I wanted to get away from one-off props for a hand launced plane, but there just aren't any props out there.

So I'm going to launch with the prop blades stalled, I think I'll have enough thrust to get off, then try to get it to hit the pipe. I'm using a Rossi 90 pipe with the muffler section turned off, it's actually a fairly small pipe without the muffler and I have about 4" of adjustment (the 90 pipe is larger ID at the neck than the header, so I can adjust without cutting).

When running the 46VRDF, I couldn't get it to run on a Macs 7.5 pipe. Shadel said I had too small volume, that's when the Nelson pipe came into play...and the VRDF ran perfect after that. So I am just going with a 15cc pipe right off.I plan on getting the pipe set for static max, then going about an inch shorter to try to anticipate the unloaded RPMs...it ought to pick up a bunch if I can ever get it on the pipe.

I have in-flight mixture, so hopefully can get it set...I've never tried to lead one this much.

The way I see it, the CL Speed guys go pretty dang fast, run pipes, and have to whip their planes to get them on the pipe. I'm gonna try to do the same thing, I just hope to have enough performance to get altitude to dive and get on the pipe. Whip it so to speak.

So anyway, there is the plan..for better or worse, that's the story.