RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club meeting attendence
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:06 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club meeting attendence

The question is what are you doing at the meetings?
I was a club President for several years and when I took over, the only thing that ever took place at meetings was "club business". They sat around and argued over the most trivial crap and constantly changed the Constitution and Bylaws. Past Presidents had the membership voting on every single issue the club needed a decision on and it was horrible at best! The club elects the executive council to manage the club. If they are unable to make decisions, why even elect them at all?
To change the way my club had done business for years, the first thing I changed was moving the meeting place to a Junior High school shop classroom. Then I planned model airplane stuff to do at each meeting. (our last meeting we had a club SPAD building project). I stepped up to the plate and started making decisions about paying bills, field maintenance and fostering a positive relationship with our landlord (USAF). Large expenditures for the treasury were still voted on by the general membership and issues that I knew would bring long winded debates were placed in the hands of a committee to research and resolve. I had the membership appoint the committee's to avoid political favoritism allegations.
To make life a bit easier, I started to provide food at the meetings so that members who wanted to attend the meeting did not have to miss dinner and could come straight from work.
The end result of my effort was a meeting with a 15 minute business session, and then a monthly presentation or project for the following 2 hours. The membership attendance went from 10-12 out of a 100 member club, to 60+ members. I even had members from neighboring clubs join, not to fly at the field, but so they could attend and participate at the meetings.
The bottom line is most members do not want to attend a business session with a lot of debating and hot air. They will attend a meeting that is fun, entertaining and has to do with why we are a club to begin with, R/C airplanes!
To make this happen requires a strong club President that is willing to do the work to make the meetings a success. It takes a lot of work to put together good meetings and if the president has several dependable members that can help, it makes the whole effort worthwhile.