RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dual recievers- or two seperate batteries?
Old 11-13-2002, 12:30 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dual recievers- or two seperate batteries?

Originally posted by Rcpilet
Which is better- dual receivers and batteries- or a single receiver and a seperate battery for servos and receiver?
This scenario is a matter of personnel preference. If you were using nine or more high power, high current consuming digital's then I would use two RX's. Or the use of servo POWER-Buss isolator would do the job as well, with one battery and switch for the RX and one battery and switch for the servo power-buss isolator. Both present additional connections and equipment.

I'm building a H9 Cap 232 14/ scale. I've got a rudder servo for 1/4 scale planes and it puts out over 300oz. in. at 6Volt. It ALSO draws 700mah at full load. I'm using a 1650mah niMH pack.[/B]
You going to end up with a heavily wing loaded model with the application of this equipment, in this case go with the lightest combination that fits your desires.

You don't mention the other servo your going to use?

I want to use dual receivers with dedicated packs. I will run one receiver for rudder and throttle only. The other receiver will run both aileron servos and both elevator servos.[/B]
Generally dual RX's are setup as follows:

RX #1: Throttle, elevator servo[s] right side, aileron servo[s] right side with one switch and battery dedicated.

RX #2: Choke or engine kill function[?], elevator servo[s] left side, aileron servo[s] left side and rudder servo[s] with one switch and battery dedicated.

IMO rudder servo[s] make sense on one RX for the simple fact that if one RX system fails your not fighting the second, third and or fourth servos for control with the functioning RX system.

Or- can I use a single reciever with a small pack(4.8V/800mah nicad) to power the reciever and a larger pack (6V/1650mah niMH) for the servos? Where do I buy the electronic gadget to do this? What is it called? How do you hook it up?.[/B]
Yes, this viable but I'd suggest it with the use of nine servos or less. A larger mAh battery pack, such as a 2400mAh with a jumbo servo is preferred.. The device is known as servo POWER-BUSS isolator. Several manufacturer's offer these. Electrodynamics, I4C, EMS Jomar to name a few. These cost around $70.00 if I recall.

Can I run two reciever packs (6V/1650mah niMH) on the same reciever with a Y-harness to operate the servos; and a seperate pack for the reciever itself(4.8V/800mah nicad)?.[/B]
Typical single RX setup on a 33%/40% model would be one RX, two HD switches and two high capacity battery packs plugged directly into the RX, no wyes. No additional RX battery.

The need to provide power directly to the jumbo servo[s] via a wye is generally not required if rigged as suggested above. This is a worthy consideration if your using multiple jumbo's or digitals in extreme locations. JR and Futaba offer a device that is similar to the servo POWER-BUSS isolator that allows you to match the servos center and end-points while providing an independent power source. The draw back is you need one for each channel your contemplating, unlike the power-buss isolators mentioned previously.