RCU Forums - View Single Post - Soldering Linkages
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 09:37 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Soldering Linkages

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

For years, I've been using brazing rod and a mapp gas torch for this operation. It works, but I always end up using my dremel and grinding off the little bit of excess brazing that invariably builds up.

Can I use silver solder for these pushrods? Is it strong enough for 4-40 pushrods?

I use regular solid solder and paste flux like I'd use to sweat copper pipes. I keep a propane torch under the workbench and a small pair of vise-grips to hold my work out over the edge of the bench so I don't drip solder on anything important (or flammable!).

First, I brighten the end of the pushrod with sandpaper and clean it with alcohol. Then I dip the end of the pushrod in the paste flux and then use it to apply flux to the inside of the clevis. For regular solder, using the propane torch to heat the pushrod and clevis takes just a second or two.

I use the same regular propane torch and the Great Planes Stay-Brite silver solder and flux to wrap and solder landing gear legs, etc. Works perfectly. Quick and easy, too. I save the soldering guns/pens for electrical work.

Good flying,
desmobob