RCU Forums - View Single Post - Getting a Club Field established
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 10:39 AM
aerospot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a Club Field established

I live in an area just West of a city where there is no official 'Club Field' to fly at. There is a field just down the road from my home where I can fly anytime I want and weather permits but, its a solatary endeavor. Just me, the plane & mabye a kid or two wanting to fly my plane and telling me how their dad has one bigger...
I learned flying on a club field some 20 miles away from my home. This was OK but quickly became farther than I wanted to go especially if I just wanted to get a flight or two during the evening. So I dropped my membership and began flying elsewhere. However I miss the companionship and BS that goes along with getting to gether with a bunch of aileron heads and would like to help establish a flying field closer to home. There is a gravel pit just a couple miles away that has ample space off in one corner away from its operations that would make a great site. But I havent a clue as to how I should approach them with the idea and provide the necessary assurances that they would not share liability or maintenance of it.
Has anyone done this? I would like to know all the details and pitfalls involved with such an endeavor. I would gladly volunteer my time and availiable resources in getting things 'off the ground' then allow the political body of the newly formed 'club' to take over with the official rules and regs. Its just getting to that point that I am absolutely clueless about.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I'm also planning on contacting our district rep from the AMA to discuss this same issue. I am hopeful that they will have a wealth of information too. But I really want to hear from someone who has gone through this type of effort to get a first hand accounting of the issues that I will face.
Thanks!
Dave