RCU Forums - View Single Post - no command and lots of frustration! a warning for beginners!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:59 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: no command and lots of frustration! a warning for beginners!

OK...my slow stick climbs with the elevator....with out elevator on this or a 3D foamy, your not going to climb very well. i can hold it wide open and it stays nice and level.

thats a good tip for a noob, but i can fly at a kickball field about 50 yards by 40 yards at about 15-20 feet high and do just fine...but yes, climb !QUOT!3 mistakes high!QUOT! so you can save yourself when you get into trouble.

another good tip is to give just a little bit of up elevator in the turn...you don't necessarily have to give more power, but it works.
Actually your slow stick climbs on wing lift. The elevator just influences the angle of incidence of the wing to the oncoming air.

The elevator is not the only way to influence pitch in order to change the wing incidence. Ask any pilot who started in the days of one channel rudder ony planes, or any free flighter.

This is also true of turns. Ailerons are not the only way to bank the wings to turn the plane. Your Slow Stick has no ailerons but it banks and turns. Geometry is used to do that. Not all planes are designed the same.

The Firebirds use geometry to influence pitch and change wing incidence which is what causes a plane to climb. Quite clever actually.

If you look at the motor, you will notice that it faces back and is slightly pitched up. In addition, it is behind the CG, so when you hit full power, it will push down behind the CG causing the nose to pitch up. Climbs quite nicely without an elevator. In fact most planes will climb on throttle alone as speed induces lift which will cause a plane to climb. Elevator only influences pitch

If you can learn to moderate and control the throttle, you can make the plane fly level or climb. You can't really do a flat dive, but you can induce a spiral dive with the rudder, but you better know how to get it out of the dive since your pitch control is indirect.