RCU Forums - View Single Post - Airplane mags: do you buy them?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Airplane mags: do you buy them?

Dave,

You might want to save yourself a lot of effort, and query the editor of the mag you're interested in, BEFORE doing the work.

I applaud your desire and willingness to do an article, but I've BTDT and editors are not easy folks to satisfy.

First, your project must be something he thinks he needs. Magazine editors are always nearly a year ahead of the publication curve in planning what pieces to run. Its the nature of the publishing business- loooong lead times. Your project may already be on the calendar.

Second, you must "package" your product properly. Ask for a writer's guideline when you make your initial query. If you don't want your work blue-pencilled to death, or rejected out of hand, it HAS to be done in the proper format and style for that magazine.

There is tons more to watch out for, but these two, along with poor grammar/spelling, are the biggest killers of would-be magazine contributors.

Again, I'm NOT trying to rain on your parade or otherwise discourage you. But doing a magazine article is certainly not the breezy walk in the park that many folks seem to think it is. It is, in fact, a lot of work.

Anyway, make those queries, and good luck.