RCU Forums - View Single Post - Alley Cat/Jett Engineering
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 01:13 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alley Cat/Jett Engineering

Twitcher:

There are lots of open framed fast airplanes, the delta wings come to mind as a example such as the Shrike and Dust. I expect that with a good motor, they are doing 150 plus. Saw a vidio, camera was on a shrike. The wing covering was flapping near the center section apparently not ironed down well. Still kept togeather. Lots of Q-500 have foam-balsa wings that are well over 150 + and still stay togeather. The Alley Cat wing coverilng appears to be ultra coat which is stronger that mono-cote. Should not be a problem of flying off when ironed down well. The tail feathers appear to be solid balsa and does not rotate or flex to excess. Dont know if there is a stiffner inside or not. I don't expect this airframe with a 90 LX to run much faster than 150 at best. It will depend on the airfoil used. It appears about as thin as a Q-500 wing. Havilng had a Little Toni, Shoestring and Minnow from the Great planes line up, all dissapointing as to top end speed, I expect the AC will kick their buts hands down. The AC has a cleaner frontal area, smaller and thinner wings. I am not sold on the Jett 90 being the best engine for this airframe. There should be something in the 60 size out there that will turn in the 18-20K range and really make this thing scoot. Possibly a Rossi? Dont have any experience with the Rossi's, was given one last year to try, ran it on the bench twice and gave it back. Did not turn for poop, but dont know the intended design. The Sports Jett engines we are trying to make go fast are designed as sport engines. They have wonderful idle and spool up with authority, generally a outstanding sport engine. We are tryilng to make them do something they are not designed for. (Sports Jett). Their racing engines are another breed of cat that turn well over 22k with ease rich yet. Yea, I want it all, don't care how the engine idles. I have a older OPS that will turn well over 22K but it is a tank of a engine, and rear exhaust and carb. Am sure Jett could whip up something special for me in the 60 size, but just don't have the extra bucks to spend at this time. Will start flying the AC with my Jett 50 which sits right in with no mods needed and then take it from there as the guys find out what will make these suckers scoot. Bottom line, the design streingth appears up to any task you want to throw at it, with great motor expect 160-175 which is slow Q-500 times, but ideal for my needs. ENJOY