RCU Forums - View Single Post - My A-10 Warthog Project
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 07:49 PM
pdmarsh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My A-10 Warthog Project

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you're finding the thread helpful. It makes it all worthwhile. To your questions...

ORIGINAL: Gry101

pdmarsh,

Your plane is looking good. I ran into the same problems as you did with the wing and stab, and worked around them just like you did. I have the wing and stabs framed and glued, but not sheeted. I have some Spring-Air retracts that I will use. The control surfaces will be next. I do have some questions:

What should the dry weight be? I am guessing between 14 and 16 pounds. 34-40 oz/ft.

I have heard anywhere from 22 to 25 lbs. dry. I'm not a model designer, so I don't really know if that's considered heavy for a model of this size. I do know this plane will have lots of lift. I am a bit concerned about the weight of my particular model. I'll just have to wait and see how it comes out.

How strong are the servos you are using? I will have one for each elevator half. I have had servos fail on the elevator before and do not feel comfortable with one on the whole elevator on this project. I was looking at 70 oz/in for each ele half, 100 on the rudder, 70 oz/in on each ail and 50 oz.in on each flap.

I went with Hitec HS-5625MG Digital Super Torque servos for the control surfaces. Their output is 110 oz. at 4.8v. I'm using one on each aileron, only one for the elevator, just one for the rudders and one for the flaps, so five in total. I'll be using my standard (don't know the models off hand) JR servos for throttle and steering.

What will you be using for power and fan units? I was looking at the OS46 and Turbax 1.

Mine will be powered with K&B .45's on Turbax I fans. I'm not sure, but I don't think you can use Turbax I fans with the OS .46's. I think they use either the Turbax II or a dedicated fan.

Will you be using a braking system on the plane? We have a short field and I think that I will need one.

No, I won't be using brakes. I don't think they'll be necessary. In fact, I have been told that flaps aren't really necessary, either. With the high lift wing, this plane should be able to handle fairly low speeds.

Thanks for the thread, it has been helpful as has FLYPUCK's.

It's my pleasure, really. Posting the build is almost as much fun as the build itself.

Andrew
Thanks again. Please feel free to post some of your own progress in this thread, or start a dedicated one. Your's makes four active George Miller A-10 projects that I'm aware of, one of which is turbine powered.

Paul