RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seagull Models Harmon Rocket
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 PM
flyingvranch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Models Harmon Rocket

I have this plane also. The name is very descriptive! I have a Magnum .52 XLS with an APC 11-4 prop on mine. This engine is a nice fit inside the cowling, but the stock muffler is huge. I spent a good while with a Dremel and a sanding drum to get a tight fit around the muffler cutout on the cowl. I've only flown it in 40 deg. weather so I have not had any overheating problems so far. The wing is very thick in cross section and I suspect that this takes away the speed a bit, but all things considered, mine is fast as heck and easily laps everyone at my field. In fact it is a challange to keep ahead of it if you really get on the top end. I resorted to dayglo orange tape on the bottom of the wing to keep my visual orientation. As far as aerobatics, it'll do anything you ask. The plane's best attributes are going fast and embarrasing the guys that have their DA-150's opened up while you flit past. (Don't flame me please as I love that engine also!) The downside of the model is definitely the flimsy landing gear. I made a copy of thicker aluminum and added about 3/4 inch extra in length. Also I cross-linked the elevators with a heavy section of music wire and epoxy. Then I moved both the rudder and elevator servos forward, as the called-for three servos in the tail is asking for a tail-heavy plane. The landing speed is pretty high also and it will keep your attention if you get close to stalling on approach. I love this little plane and it is a lot of fun to fly and looks beautiful and always draws attention.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55445.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	373922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11579.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	373923