RCU Forums - View Single Post - Max speed from a generic chinese .52 engine
Old 12-22-2005, 01:46 PM
DanPeoples

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max speed from a generic chinese .52 engine

The other day I was hunting for a speed engine on ebay to go into my new magnum r arf when I came across an engine I've never heard of before called a BH 52A. These engines are being sold by Bonparhobby, I've heard the name mentioned in a couple of past threads but have not come across any posts that talk about these particular engines. From what I have gathered these engines are made in the same factory as the magnum line of engines and the parts are fully interchangeable.

Out of curiosity I placed a bid on one and have since made it my goal to modify a cheap 46-52 size engine ($50-$75) and either increase its performance by using a tuned pipe ($100 or use old one) or have the new engine sent to someone to get ported, polished and balanced ($100).
Heck I'll probably add both the pipe and get the engine work done, but the end result that I'm looking for would be an engine that would run happily above 18,000 rpm and have decent power for a fast model yet look like a sleeper.

Before everyone says just go buy a Jett .50 and be done with it, I would like to add that I fly a Jett .50 and my first magnum came with the V1 engine combo which flew great so I'm well aware that great speed engines already exist. My goal here as strange as it may be is to take a cheapo sport .52 engine and give it a little extra edge to make it turn higher revs happily. This is purely for fun and might be an indication that I have more spare cash then brains at the moment, but just humor me please.

My questions to those of you that have experience modifying engines is:
-What kind of power increase could I expect from the engine work and pipe combo?
-What information should I provide the engine tuner as far as exhaust timing and etcetera?
-What should be my target rpm and prop for this airframe, should I just stick with an 8x8 or just trial and error a few?

Thanks in advance,
Dan