RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hostetler Extra 300XS 27%, 33% or 40%
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 09:11 PM
shag555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hostetler Extra 300XS 27%, 33% or 40%

Someone asked earlier what I was using for sanding and cutting, here's my Dremel scroll saw with built in 4" disc sander. Both the sander and saw have speed control, which is awsome for balsa and ply! I do quite a bit of hand sanding as well, there's just no replacement for good old SLOW hand sanding. Leading and trailing edges were all sanded out by hand. I just marked center and each side, planed it down to the best of my abilities with a single edged razor, then sanded away. My best sander is just a straight 12X2" GP aluminum sanding block, and that's what I use for leading edges as well. I have a contour sander for this, but I found I ruin more with it than by taking my time with the straight block. I've had the contour sander catch on ribbing before to, and that makes for one hell of a mess.

I've also included a razor miter that I use for anything like the 1/4 square fuse sticks and all gusset work. It really saves some time! The wierd angled gussets in the rudder and elevators were traced inked out over balsa, then stuck in the miter. Made for really quick work!

MPB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14658.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	382369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91245.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	382370