RCU Forums - View Single Post - Explain prop sizes to me please
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 07:37 PM
lynntonyd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain prop sizes to me please

I have my first electric plane ready to go. Its a GP Yak 55 flightflex model that I added a Dymond Typhoon 6 brushless outrunner to. It is listed as 34.5" wingspan and 14-16 oz in the specs. I have a 3 cell 1800mah battery which is a bit big I know. I need to know what prop to use. I bought a bunch so I could play around. The plane is a 3D machine but I can't do any of that. I have been flying glow engines all year and I am pretty good with my trainer and can do basic loops. rolls etc. I'm looking for a prop that won't fly 180 mph or kill the battery in 2 minutes. I want to fly slow and keep the plane in the air. I then plan to learn aerobatics with no fear of crashing my big balsa plane! Here is what I have:

11 x 4.5 (Came with the plane) a 9x4.7 a 9x3.8 and a 10x3.8. I bought a bunch because they are cheap so what the heck. I know kind of what the numbers mean. The large # is the diameter and I guess the second number is the angle? The 3.8's seem much more "flat" than the others.

BUT what does that do in the air? My intuition is that a smaller angle would make less drag and spin faster, maybe give less thrust?

Which one would you use first and why? Then which ones would you move to when I get used to the plane?

Thanks for your input!
Tony