RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar 9 Twist 3D
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Jack211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Re my Saito 82a, which I cursed in these pages because this is the SECOND time I've had to return it. Horizon Hobby Services returned the engine with new bearings, no cost to me. The tech said the bearings had corroded, my fault, and that I should ALWAYS put in after-run oil after every day's flying. Point is, Saito folks were as good as their word--better, actually. They didn't charge me for something that was my fault.

And I don't understand that. I fly that 82a almost every day. I had one stretch of maybe five days we couldn't fly. Every time I've checked the tappets or whatever, there's castor oil everywhere inside. I use Wildcat Premium (15% nitro; 18% castor/synthetics). So WHY should those bearings corrode? I understand nitromethane residuals are "corrosive," but from one day to the next? And how does one get after-run oil into the BOTTOM of the engine without taking off the muffler after each flying session? I can't believe you put it in the HEAD, by suction through the carb, and enough oil will seep past the cylinder to get the job done. You tell me.

When I KNOW I'm not going to fly an engine for a while, I DO use oil, 4 bucks a quart, as after run oil. Or is there something "by definition" that is "special" about "after-run" oils?

Sorry, Saito, if I've abused you.

Jack