RCU Forums - View Single Post - Some Newbie Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Leo L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some Newbie Questions

The Challenger is OK to start with, but it is a little more difficult to fly than Firebird Commander or the Slow-V. However, if you research the advise for new flyers, you should have no problems.

You need plenty of room for the Challenger (as well as any of the pushers) so make sure that you have a field that is at least 600ft.x600ft. The manual recommends initial hand launching and most flyers seem to prefer this method for beginners. I disagree. I found that I had much better control of the plane when launched from the ground. Asphalt and concrete are fine for take-offs, but I prefer the dirt of a baseball field's infield. As long as the field isn't too muddy, the plane takes off just fine, and you have the benefit of a softer surface if something goes wrong and the plane crashes. One of the keys is not to try to steer the plane while it is taxing for take-off. Always take off into the wind. Once you start to taxi, the plane will likely veer to one side or the other. As long as it doesn't start heading for the fance or a tree, let it go in the direction that it selects. When the plane reaches a decent speed, pull slightly back on the control stick and it will take off. Using the control stick, keep the plane in a very shallow rise. If you allow it to rise too steeply it will slow down, stall and crash! Let the plane rise to 50ft. before making any turns. Keep the turns very gentle and make them in small increments. You should not move the control stick any more than 1/4 of its throw. When you get to a decent altitude (at least 200ft.), cut the throttle to 50% and enjoy flying. The plane should be good for about 11-12 minutes of flying, so when you get to the 9 minute mark, start your landing approach. Start circling the entire field and slowly reduce throttle so that the plane looses 10-15 ft. on each pass. On your last circle, when the plane is about 20 ft. above the ground, line it up with the landing area and cut the throttle completely. As the plane glides in, pull slightly back on the stick to lift the nose when it is only a few feet up. It will set down gently. If you are not comfortable with the way the plane is approaching, give it full throttle and slightly pull back on the stick to bring it back up to 20 ft., then repeat your final landing approach. Remember: NO WIND; stay away from trees; altitude is your friend while the ground is your enemy.