RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli F6F Hellcat Builder's Diary
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 12:08 PM
langerl
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ziroli F6F Hellcat Builder's Diary

Hi Mike,
Re 1/4" vs. 10-32 nylon. Since I can't really SEE what the issue is, you may use your discretion as to which bolt size to use. Come to think of it, when I was imagineering the gear mounts, I do recall the holes in the gear as a bit too small for 1/4". I suspect 6 x 10-32 bolts should be strong enough for the mains.
The look of the model center section is very Grumman - massively strong looking. As you say, I don't think the gear mount rails will ever fail; now its more likely I'll tear a wing rib out of the main spar before that happens. I keep replaying in my mind the WWII shot of the F6F landing on the carrier...smashing into the island and the only thing left of the airplane after the accident is the intact fuse from just aft of the cockpit to the cowl and engine. When the wreck stops skidding on the deck, the pilot just gets out and walks away. No big deal... "A bit of the old El..." if you know the reference. The model looks the same way.
Still mulling over the paint scheme. Maybe I'll talk to Nick Jr. and see what he says.
The Air World servo leads have been ordered. You should see them in about a week or so.
Keep up the good work!

regards,
Lynn