RCU Forums - View Single Post - What servos?
Thread: What servos?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2002, 03:34 AM
S3HD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What servos?

I just installed my elevon control horns and hooked up my servos on my Whiplash tonight.

I am using brand new Multiplex Royal mc/V2 servos. These are digital, dual ball bearing servos. They have over 100oz/in of holding torque at 5 degrees deflection, using a 6v battery.

My Whiplash elevons relax to a position of about 2 degrees up with nothing hooked to them. I noticed that one of these servos isn't happy having to hold force against the elevon in order to hold it in a neutral position. It is not chattering, but it is making a little noise with the elevons in the neutral position. The other servo is silent. I'm don't think the servos should make any noise when the elevons are in the neutral position.

I have sanded the top of the hinge line to remove most of the gelcoat on the advice of my paintman(40 years in the custom hot rod and auto restoration business). He said that we want to keep the coatings over the hinge line down to the bare minimum to prevent bad cracking of the finish, over a period of time. He's pretty sure that the finish is gonna crack eventually along the hinge line, but not very bad if we're careful on the prep.
I think that one elevon needs some more sanding along the hinge line to free it up. Then, perhaps it will be like its brother, and not require any force to stay in the neutral position - and hopefully this will quiet the servo.

When it is all done, I'm going to do some tests to see what kind of voltage drain is occuring on my Whiplash, and also to see how long a fully charged battery will stay above 6.0volts. With only a six ounce tank, and a Jett 50 FIRE, AAC, DF timed engine, I don't expect to fly very long flights. 3-4 minutes max.

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait til after Thanksgiving to get it finished. Of course it snowed today too. Don't think I'll be flying this baby til I can land on fairly dry grass.