RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Props
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Peroxide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Props

Hey Fast Prop People,

What's the most extreme prop situation that anyone out there has come across? As there have been some mention of planes in the ~200 mph range, it seems that those props must really be something special. As a curious guy who's always looking for the next RC project, I got to thinking about what this high speed really means.

I was looking at two specific situations with:
1) a 5 x 6 prop turning at 35.2 kRPM producing 1.81 lb of thrust at 200 mph and
2) a 5.5 x 6.5 prop turning at 33.0 kRPM producing 2.37 lb of thrust at 203 mph.

I came up with those numbers from propeller theory from one of my engineering courses but I don't think those equations were meant for such small props turning at such high RPM. Has anyone out there spun a prop this fast?

I've looked at props from Graupner, APC, and AeroNaut but haven't found either of these two. There doens't seem to be a very broad selection in the 5 - 6 in prop range. I'm also not sure what the max manufacturer RPM rating is for those props.

Has anyone clipped a high-speed prop? I suppose that I could cut down the Graupner 6.5 x 6.5 to 5.5 x 6.5 and do some precision balancing afterwards. This may cost some efficiency though...

So, for those who don't read long posts:

- Are there any 5.5 x 6.5 props out there that can take 33,000 RPM?

- Where can I get one?

-- Thanks, Ian