RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hostetler Extra 300XS 27%, 33% or 40%
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2006, 06:07 PM
shag555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hostetler Extra 300XS 27%, 33% or 40%

Thanks G - Much obliged! I did the rudder exactly as I did the elevators. Just added 1/4 inch stock to the vertical stab and beveled on both sides. I'm able to get the full throw, left to right, as the elevator halves were designed. If you don't add the 1/4 inch stock, the throw is about half what is illustrated in the pic above.

I would love to make this wing a two piece wing, with a tube! Problem is, I've already committed to the design of the fuse, and I'll have to make this one a one piece wing. If I were to re-design, there would have to be an engine box running back to the tube socket, as on my H-9 Extra 260. Really makes for a strong structure, and as long as there are cut-outs, it's also light. After ordering these plans, I asked WH about the 33%'er, if it was also a single piece wing. Turns out that it's a two piece, tube wing... Kind of bumbs me out, because I would have requested a set of plans be made from the 33% plans, scaling them down to the 27% to get what I wanted in the first place.

No worries though. A one piece wing will fit the bill just fine. 80 inches isn't that big, and it makes for one less piece to be floating around in the suburban. 80 inch and less wingspans work perfect for suburbans because you can lay the wing and fuse across the seats in back.

MPB