RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 12:47 PM
jamie_duff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

I've got a Robart tailwheel ready (in fact it's sitting on the plans layed out on my living room floor - best sort that out before the wife gets home!!) to build in. I haven't actually done it yet, but I think I've got it all mapped out in my head.

I'm using a Robart 3/8" dia x 1/2" stroke air cylinder to move mine. Hope that's enough movement - it ought to be. Unlike you, I have experience with pneumatic retracts and none with servos, so I'm going all air. Don't be affraid of air - it's very simple and remarkably easy to set up and install. I'm slightly scared of servos because of travel/stops etc. Never tried so I don't know if my fears are justified.

What I will say about the Robart tailwheel is that although the quality appears fine (mostly plastic though) the retraction angle ins't very good IMO. It can only just be made to pull the wheel inside the fuselage. And you need to make a new piano wire strut for it since it's about an inch short for our purposes.

BTW the air cylinders are very light so don't let weight put you off. At the end of the day, it's your model, you have to complete it, rig it, fly it and maintain it, so whilst I think you should challange yourself and explore new techniques/methods (as we all should), it's sometimes best to use our tried and tested ways which we know and are comfortable with.

It's really frustrating having a good looking model that's always busted or otherwise problematic

Edit: A Robart air cylinder is around the $20 mark from Tower Hobbies.

Good luck on the flight Asphalt! MAKE SURE IT'S REALLY READY - no CofG probs or anything daft! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Have you weighed it yet?