RCU Forums - View Single Post - Digital Servos? I've got some questions....
Old 12-01-2002, 02:16 PM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Servos? I've got some questions....

I've been considering getting Hitec 625's and 605's for a UCD3D and haven't really even considered getting digital servos. But to be honest I really don't know that much about them. I've read that they center better and have more holding power, but I guess the downside is that they suck up more juice.

Recently it was suggested to me to try the Hitec 5625 or the 5645. After reviewing the specs they seem to have ton's of torque and similar speed and are about $15 more per servo.

The main question I have about them is can you just put them in a plane like you would a standard servo, or do you need to buy some type of programmer like they have at servocity.com? Are there any other downsides to the digitals other than power consuption? I guess they do seem to weight a bit more, which is something I'm really not crazy about. Of course of they are mounted in the tail of a UCD then the extra weight will probably be better (Considering most UCDs are nose heavy).

Anyway, comments?

Also, I remember hearing some people talk about some digital servos dying in flight leading to crashed airplanes. Was I dreaming this, or is there actually a problem with some digitals?