RCU Forums - View Single Post - Monocoat or Ultracoat?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 02:13 AM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Monocoat or Ultracoat?

Rcpilet explained it nicely. My experience as well. Although I have been able to heat Ultracoat and pull it back up without losing much adhesive and then reattach it. Givng it enough heat at the lifting spot is the trick, but I wouldn't do it more than once or twice myself. Actually, both types have a clear outer layer and a colored adhesive. Just scrape a hot soldering iron across the back of each and watch the color adhesive come off the clear layer. From experience de-covering planes for new covering, Monokote is the one that will seperate easily when trying to remove it, plus it tears easily in strips which can be aggravating and I don't think your going to have much luck in reapplying it and making it hold like the first time, where Ultracote does that well. Did you know that Ultracote was originally called Oracover? Back in the early 90's it was making eyebrows raise at R/C model shows. I watched a guy demonstrate it. He would push his finger deep into it with out breaking and heat-gun the finger mold back out virtually without a trace. He would also apply, remove (with heat), reapply, several times and it kept a good bond. When you remove Ultracote, it will come off with very little shredding. Ultracote is great for low and high temps and high temp seems to bond it even better, but Monokote always need high temp. I like Monokote for the nice gloss finish and shape holding power for things like adding washout to a non-washout built up wing. Ultracote is really nice going on top of itself or Monokote as trim and endures well. Horizon has some wild color schemes in Ultracote. They both do have their uses.