RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Duellist 2/60 Build
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 11:03 AM
ehfleming
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Duellist 2/60 Build

Hello Blade47,

I am happy but embarrassed that someone else has beaten me to building the plane, ...again. You are catching the inconsistencies of this kit. I will try to blame most of the "mistakes" on the original MAN plans, like the different length in the wing panels. There were some errors and omission that I tried to to correct before putting the kit in "production". Thanks to Bill, I think most of them were caught. I included the MAN reprint with some of my construction notes to myself. I hope they stayed with the kit.

There is one mistake that I have to fess up to. Be carefull when building the nacelles. The nacelle sides are not cut correctly, they were cut for a wing with a tapered LE. Of course, the SD has a STRAIGHT LE. The wing cut out for the inner nacelle side is cut about an 1/8" deeper than the outer side. Worse, if you align the firewall to the front edges of the nacelles, the firewalls (along with the entire nacelle) will have a negative incidence, pointing the engines towards the fuse. NOT a good thing. I would build the nacelles with the wing cut outs flush with the wing, but making sure the formers and firewalls have 0 degrees incidence relative to the fuse. I believe this will work with the least hassle. What you do with the slightly longer (or shorter) sides is your call, modify, cut or just leave them.

Also, I would recut the firewalls from aircraft ply, instead of using the supplied lite-ply.

I will be watching your build with much interest. If there is anything you think I might be able to help you with, just ask. If you reach points of extreme frustration[][&o][sm=confused.gif][sm=drowning.gif] during the build, feel free to vent. You can also PM me. There were some decisions I made reflected in the kit that are singularly my preference. For instance, the cut outs for the retracts were made with SpringAir 400 Series in mind. Although, I think about any should work.

Good Luck