RCU Forums - View Single Post - making fuel proof decals
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 09:14 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: making fuel proof decals

fastplane,
I'm presently doing just what you asked about. I'm printing my decals on AVERY label paper. Using both the clear (when there isn't any white color in the decal or there needs to be clear areas) and the white sheets. Both obviously work great through my pc inkjet printer. I first made some up and applied clear Ultracote film over them. No edge sealing is necessary. That worked ok, but seemed a bit too much work.

I've done some testing with a number of clear spray paints that're readily available at Lowe's Home Improvement. It appears that almost all the clear paints will fuelproof to some degree. And of course, the clear spray paints sold by the LHS work too. They're usually only a couple of dollars more so that's no worry.

I make up a full sheet of the images in different sizes and spray the sheet with a light coat of clear paint. After that's dry, I spray one or two full coats. The image has to be cut out along it's outline but it's worth that little effort. They look great and cost almost nothing.

Here is an example........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80460.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	417038