View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 02:23 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Filling the tank with the cowl on

ORIGINAL: mikenlapaz

In addition a second clunk if used reduces your fuel capacity
LOL What percentage of tank fuel capacity do you figure and how much run time does that relate to? I build too heavy, I worry about the added weight!

Nice plane, had to maginify like crazy , Is that an opened cover on the starboard fueling location? If I understand after you cut tube(s) where they exit, you insert a small section of brass tubing to create a splice joint that slides back into one of the holes to leave only a nice curved piece of hose on exterior.

Maybe an oversized to carb fuel line up to the fill location would offset the fuel capacity loss of using a second clunk!

Thank you and apologys for my poor photografic skills. Perhaps these two photos are more self explanitory.

Not every one flys for the same purposes and indeed in some cases one ounce of fuel is critical. These airplanes are used for warbird pylon racing, in addition to weight being a critical factor and difficulty in getting sufficient tankage in the proper spraybar/height relationship its a matter of survival. A typical heat will last 2.5 minutes and add starting, launching, countdown start and post flight landings with four other airplanes all low on fuel then yes that extra ounce is very important.

Its also typical for many sport flyers always try to stuff as much fuel in as they can for whatever reasons. This is frequently unsuccessful due to poor installations and never utilize all their tankage. I am just offering insight into the fuel system that I beleve that offers the simplest and most reliability as a fuel system. I also use this on many sport airplanes that are completey exposed engines when a rear needle is used. Frequently the inlet nipple on rear needles is difficult to get to.

The blue airplane will maiden soon for my team mate to fly in the next race and notice the slots are already cut for the loop of fuel line. This also allows easy cowling removal or installation.

Laugh if you will its just some very effective alternatives.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33611.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	419346   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43636.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	419347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22909.jpg
Views:	28