RCU Forums - View Single Post - Magnum Weston 50 Prop Size
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 05:09 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Magnum Weston 50 Prop Size

ORIGINAL: Easystern
but before i will cut it, i will call weston uk to find out where to cut and how short the pipe has to be.
the throw at the start with a 8x8 needs more push to get the prop bite into the air and some tell it has a tendency to roll left from the torque of the engine right after the start with the 8x8.with the 9x6 or 9x7 it looks like that most of the magnumers has the best and save start and the prop will take it right out of the starters hand.
The recommendations I posted above come directly from Alan at Weston. He also said that while they like the 8-10 for highest top speed, they have occasional problems on the launch. Alan said that every once in a while they fail to climb out after launch, so they break a prop and have to start over again.

Yes, with a 9-6 or 9-7 launches are no problem but you lose a fair bit of top speed. The 9-6 is a good prop for running in the engine and for first flights.

Also - when using these sport props, ensure that the spinner cone does not touch the leading or trailing edge of the prop. Contact at either of these spots has been blamed as one cause of props fracturing. The rpm limits of these 8" props is, per APC's formula [http://www.apcprop.com/html/rpm_limits.html ] 23,750 rpm. So we are running very close to that limit and need to watch prop safety issues closely.

MJD