Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

E Flite Carbon Z Yak

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 PM
mrsam22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E Flite Carbon Z Yak

Hey guys I think I've decided on the e flite carbon z yak 54 as the next step. I'm coming from a HBZ super cub and PKZ corsair, both mastered. Anyone have any good experience with this plane? Thanks, Sam
Old 02-20-2011, 01:52 PM
smlsr

Default RE: E Flite Carbon Z Yak

very good plane sam your not going to believe your eyes when you see this plane fly it,s super fast for a foamy I beat my friends habu jet with it. and it flies really good slow also which helps for landing. you wont be disapointed
Old 02-20-2011, 05:41 PM
mrsam22

Sounds great, thanks a lot! I'm thinking this will be my new plane once summer rolls around. Sam.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM
rexbirk

Got mine all ready to fly. Have set the aileron servos up individually so that I could have flaperons. Have the original battery and 4 Nano Tech 3000's from Hobby King. Can't wait for this Ohio Weather to break! It's been a nasty winter here!

It really is a beautiful design. I's foam but it is very stiff. Those wings are amazingly strong Parts are cheap and available.

I may learn 3D with this plane without all the worry.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 PM
stuart_80

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

2 flights with mine yesterday - the first being the maiden ! I only had to find 10 feet of dry grass for the take-off/landing

I have the BNF version with the supplied Spektrum receiver, and E-Flite 2800 4S Lipo - coupled to JR DSX12 (DSM2). I'm using separate channels for the Ailerons. Will prob go with 3200 or 3800 packs later

Not sure on the wind speed exactly, but I'm guessing 15mph maybe. It coped well for such a light model. Landing was a breeze, touched the tailwheel first on both landings.

Too much wind to do any low/slow stuff yesterday, but knife edge was brilliant. Slow rolls just like the UMX Micro Beast ! Snap rolls and blenders were also nice.

Had another 2 flights today in calmer conditions (5-8mph), and it really grooved. Slow rolls the length of our 6 acre flying field

I'm impressed Quality servos. motor, and ESC & excellent flying characteristics make this one of my favourite models !

Stuart

P.S sorry about poor picture quality, taken from a phone !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11740.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1570275   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43722.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	1570276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17386.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	1570277  
Old 03-01-2011, 01:17 PM
stuart_80

I guess my post was ignored then ! ?

Nobody flying the Yak then ?

Stuart
Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is ready to fly. Maybe Sunday afternoon  the weather will be nice.
Builds EASY!!

Thanks for the report!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 PM
mikejbb

I'm considering this yak myself. I've been flying the parkzone Extra 300 since I got it for Christmas. I've been able to do a little hovering, mostly with forward progress, with the stock prop, but it's not really built for it. I really love it, it's so strong and easy to fix when you loop too close to the ground at less than WOT.

My ? is how does this yak compare to the Extra in regards to hovering type 3d maneuvers. Could I put down the tail, then the main gear like I do with the Realflight planes? The Extra is not stable enough (for me) to do that. I wanted to fly when we had 1.5feet of snow in Chicago, but there was nowhere to land, but if I could just put her down or maybe even catch her like I can my 6foot glider, maybe...

I also put a rate gyro in my Extra on the ailerons and the wind doesn't exist except for forward progress a little. Anybody use a gyro in the Yak? I know this would not allow the use of flaperons like I usually do.

Mike
PkZn Extra 300, PkZn Wildcat, 3' Pitts
sukhoi BL upgraded 2 cells, 6' EZGlider with BL launch motor
Super Cub BL wt moded ailerons, slo-v BL
Function over ALL else
my photography: http://BesPhoto.com
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM
stuart_80

Mikejjb,

I've not had any experience of the Parkzone Extra 300, but my guessing would be the Yak 54CZ would fly even better - being a QQ design.

If you push the CG right back (once you become comfortable), landings are easy tailwheel first. I've since had another 2 flights, moving the CG back each time. Knife edge is awesome in flat calm conditions too.

Doesn't need a gyro ! Its very neutral also, I've only got one "mix" programmed - 3% up elevator with left rudder only !

Stuart
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test flew mine last weekend, WOW!

Great flying airplane. I've got extra batteries on the way so I can have more fun! Highly recommended!

Tim
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 AM
StormJunkie

I'm impressed Grin Quality servos. motor, and ESC & excellent flying characteristics make this one of my favourite models !

I think not! This is a serious flaw with these servos. Be very careful folks. The motor mounts were/are cracking because the prop and prop hub are horribly out of balance on 9 out of 10. Switch to an APC 12x6 prop. The servo is a real problem, especially since there is not another drop in fit servo. I know some have shaved material in order to fit HS82mg's in.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibZtyY76jGA[/youtube]

[:@]
Old 03-20-2011, 03:28 PM
stuart_80

ORIGINAL: StormJunkie

I'm impressed Grin Quality servos. motor, and ESC & excellent flying characteristics make this one of my favourite models !

I think not! This is a serious flaw with these servos. Be very careful folks. The motor mounts were/are cracking because the prop and prop hub are horribly out of balance on 9 out of 10. Switch to an APC 12x6 prop. The servo is a real problem, especially since there is not another drop in fit servo. I know some have shaved material in order to fit HS82mg's in.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibZtyY76jGA[/youtube]

[:@]
Lol are you just on a mission to "tarnish" everyone's build threads/posts about the Yak 54 CZ ?......I noticed you made the exact same post on 3 diff threads

APC 12x6 is the wrong prop........APC13x4 is THE prop for this model, especially for prop hanging where the extra diameter keeps air moving over the Ailerons

As for the video....well lol...that made me laugh... you've obvs had the plane in a million bits, changing Rx, servos etc, so you cannot claim this is a fault from manufacture.
Did you carefully check that the servo's weren't stalling before the maiden ?...as this would cause damage, especially digital servos. They have good holding power, so when stalled something has to give, perhaps the gears or the motor pinion itself.

CLEARLY the servo you are "tapping" on with your finger has a faulty lead, as you tap it 20 times it only moves 5 times, then when you wiggle the lead it moves all over the place !!!LOL

Hitec servos....junk IMO!