Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

E-flite UMX Extra 300 3D (Ultra Micro Extreme)

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

E-flite UMX Extra 300 3D (Ultra Micro Extreme)

Old 03-31-2011, 01:34 AM
pgroom_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-flite UMX Extra 300 3D (Ultra Micro Extreme)

Hey guys,

I'm new to all this 3D stuff - and indeed planes in general. I was given a gift voucher for my 43rd and ordered one of [link=http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/Electric-Planes/E-Flite-UMX-Extra-300-3D-AO/prod_824.html]THESE[/link].
Up 'till now I have been flying electric helis - starting with the Lama3 & Lama4, progressing to the Fixed Pitch Esky Honeybee2, and then the Collective Pitched 450 Trex clone by HobbyKing (the [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10900]HK-450GT[/link][sm=thumbs_up.gif]), so I'm not totally a newbie to R/C......

I can't see any other threads addressing this particular model so thought I'd start one up.

I'm told that this size will not fly in any wind - brilliant for me - as I have [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLSlGQU9LA]a large room/hall[/link] every two weeks for a few hours to try/fly/fail/practice>practice>practice/enjoy.

Anyway, I'm in Australia - so thought it appropriate that I learn to fly something upside down

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. To be clear I now have an E-flite Extra 300 3D on order - it should be here tomorrow - and the video only shows me mucking about with a small foam biplane a few weeks back!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:47 PM
pgroom_68

Default RE: E-flite UMX Extra 300 3D (Ultra Micro Extreme)

Hey again guys,

What no welcome from any of the 40 guys who have read this??????
Still, the courier hasn't dropped my bird off yet 'cause it is the weekend and they don't deliver on weekends in this country! I expect it Monday morning[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Was there a question in that post? To be honest, if the plane is setup correctly most of these little planes fly very similar. Foam is floaty and very forgiving in the air to learn tricks. There is really no need to start a specific thread for it i guess.... Welcome!

Have fun and use a sim if at all possible to train on inverted orientation to save on parts! Crash all you want and hit reset..

Zim
Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Zim-uh-tosa
Was there a question in that post? To be honest, if the plane is setup correctly most of these little planes fly very similar. Foam is floaty and very forgiving in the air to learn tricks. There is really no need to start a specific thread for it i guess.... Welcome!
Have fun and use a sim if at all possible to train on inverted orientation to save on parts! Crash all you want and hit reset..
Hey & thanks Zim,

As this is the first time I have taken a plane (although not full size) for an indoor flight I guess I am a lot anxious! Do you think there will be enough room in that hall that I posted a video of (in my first post), to learn such simple things as figure-8s and circuits? What tricks shall I then try to do?

What is the pre-flight checks for these things?

How do I take off? From the floor or hand-launch?!? I don't know - honestly.

As you can tell, I have no idea in what order to try these things - is there a video of "tricks to learn" from easy to hard???

P.S. Is that enough specific questions for ya??
P.P.S. I have Clearview sim somewhere - I think it is good advice to blow the dust from it now......
Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

I would say that hall has ample enough room to learn to fly the 3d plane that you purchased. I fly a 51" wingspan 3d plane in the infield(inside bases) of a baseball field!! You can either let the plane fly right out of your hand or take off from the ground pretty ez. It really does not take much to keep these planes aloft when you have the correct motor installed(150watts per pound or more). Foam has made this hobby available for the masses to learn cheap and with minimal damage when crashed.

I do not know of a video specifically to learn tricks. You can watch 3d videos all day on youtube and practice! Dont get ahead of yourself when you fly. Learn to fly the plane by rudder first in circles, then add aileron commands when you are ready. flying figure 8's is a great way to develope memory for all level flight orientations. Then you will be ready to roll her over and fly inverted. Get that sim dusted off and put some good hours into it and then translate that to real life. That is how I did it! I can fly every orientation including hovering now.

Flight check is always the same. After visual inspection to make sure nothing is damaged, make sure that right rudder on the stick translates to right rudder on the plane. left rudder on stick=left rudder on plane and so on and so on. Flying a plane that has a reversed servo isnt very fun!!!

Have plenty of tools and glues and such to make all the repairs in the field so you are not grounded before you can even fly. I have driven for 40 minutes, got out of the car to fly the plane and had a broken prop. forgot my extra props at home....duh!

Peace an GL,

Zim

Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM
pgroom_68

I would say that hall has ample enough room to learn to fly the 3d plane that you purchased. I fly a 51'' wingspan 3d plane in the infield(inside bases) of a baseball field!! You can either let the plane fly right out of your hand or take off from the ground pretty ez. It really does not take much to keep these planes aloft when you have the correct motor installed(150watts per pound or more). Foam has made this hobby available for the masses to learn cheap and with minimal damage when crashed.
I do not know of a video specifically to learn tricks. You can watch 3d videos all day on youtube and practice! Dont get ahead of yourself when you fly. Learn to fly the plane by rudder first in circles, then add aileron commands when you are ready. flying figure 8's is a great way to develop memory for all level flight orientations. Then you will be ready to roll her over and fly inverted. Get that sim dusted off and put some good hours into it and then translate that to real life. That is how I did it! I can fly every orientation including hovering now.
Flight check is always the same. After visual inspection to make sure nothing is damaged, make sure that right rudder on the stick translates to right rudder on the plane. left rudder on stick=left rudder on plane and so on and so on. Flying a plane that has a reversed servo isnt very fun!!!
Have plenty of tools and glues and such to make all the repairs in the field so you are not grounded before you can even fly. I have driven for 40 minutes, got out of the car to fly the plane and had a broken prop. forgot my extra props at home....duh!
Peace an GL,
Thanks a heap for the hints & tips Zim.
It is a pity there is not a video resource available to help me out flying from basics to tricks.
I will be taking it slow and learning/mastering one level before attempting the next - to minimise repairs - I assure you

One more question mate. How do the planes in Clearview sim (or your sim) compare with the real models?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

As far as those videos...You should try and give that a search on Google to see what you come up with. There could be something out there that will help. I never used one, so I simply just don't know... The sim practice was the best tool I could ever have used. I never flew planes before the sim practice.
"How do the planes in Clearview sim (or your sim) compare with the real models?" They don't really.... Don't concentrate on the realism of each plane. Learn the different orientations of the model in the air and how that directly translates into stick movements, and visa-versa. You will develop a "touch" for the sticks and how planes will react. You will also learn how to trim the model while in-flight, which is very important.

Peace!!

Zim

Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again Zim,

I have got Clearview sim up and running now. I will alternate practice between Clearview and the [link=http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/Electric-Planes/E-Flite-UMX-Extra-300-3D-AO/prod_824.html]real model[/link] (after it arrives tomorrow) How long do you think is beneficial to fly a sim model in one sitting? 1 hour, then take a break?

I have access to that hall every day as it is 200metres from where I work (and I have a security card) so - "the ceiling is the limit"

Thanks again for your help mate

P.S. Now to search the interweb for those videos......
Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Aircraftfreak15

i would sygest setting the transmitter rate way low and puting in expo so the plane isnot touch but fly it to your likeing. I have not flew one of thes planes but i have the rest of the micros if it flys like them it should be a blast.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:45 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Aircraftfreak15
i would sygest setting the transmitter rate way low and puting in expo so the plane isnot touch but fly it to your likeing. I have not flew one of thes planes but i have the rest of the micros if it flys like them it should be a blast.
Hey Aircraftfreak,

What do you mean the "Tx rate way low"? I have learnt about EXPO from the DX6i manual So I will set it for around 30%. Does this sound OK to you?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Aircraftfreak15

like i said the expo is personal prefrance. to set up the plane for a newer piolet like your self you are going to want to set your dule rates wich is what i ment by tx rates for very small amount of movement id say start with 50% on low and 60 to 75% on high untell you feel mor comfterble flying the plane. From what i hear this plane had an insain amount of through on the surfaces.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Aircraftfreak15
like i said the expo is personal prefrance. to set up the plane for a newer piolet like your self you are going to want to set your dule rates wich is what i ment by tx rates for very small amount of movement id say start with 50% on low and 60 to 75% on high untell you feel mor comfterble flying the plane. From what i hear this plane had an insain amount of through on the surfaces.
Thanks again Aircraftfreak!!

The courier delivered - [link=http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/Electric-Planes/E-Flite-UMX-Extra-300-3D-AO/prod_824.html]it[/link] is a beauty - already fully asssembled - so all I have to do it install a 1-cell lipo (which I bought six with a type of "board" to charge them all at once if I want). I will be out of town for the weekend - and wifey said "no helis" I wonder if I can push my luck and pack [link=http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/Electric-Planes/E-Flite-UMX-Extra-300-3D-AO/prod_824.html]it[/link]? Well, it's not a heli!?!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Sounds like you will be up and flying in no time. I had to take a trip down South to San Diego(about an 1100 mile round trip) so i am sorry I did not reply sooner. I wanted to say congratulations and good luck!

The more practice you can get on the sim the better. Develop that "muscle memory"(when your brain and hands are in-synch to what the plane is doing) for the best chance of success. All of the sim practice will translate very close to what you have to do in real life, cutting your reaction time down to the point where the model feels like part of your extended body.

Let us know how it goes!

Z
Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 PM
pgroom_68

Sounds like you will be up and flying in no time. I had to take a trip down South to San Diego(about an 1100 mile round trip) so i am sorry I did not reply sooner. I wanted to say congratulations and good luck!
The more practice you can get on the sim the better. Develop that ''muscle memory''(when your brain and hands are in-synch to what the plane is doing) for the best chance of success. All of the sim practice will translate very close to what you have to do in real life, cutting your reaction time down to the point where the model feels like part of your extended body.
Let us know how it goes!
Will do! Thanks again for your support to a newbie, mate........[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again Z,

No troubles with binding & Tx/Rx (phew).
I adjusted the endpoints of my elevators & ailerons to about 25% of what they were (full deflection) - this I think (appropriately) is known as "dumbing it down" - helped quite a lot. As none else turned up at the "heli-meet" this month I had the entire hall to fly around - and I needed it!
I don't think I am cut out for planes afterall - I could only get it to sit in the sky for a few milliseconds. The helicopter skills I have developed over the years are to embedded to change now!

Upon reflection, a newbie like myself would be better to fly the maiden for a plane with no walls - such as outdoors on a windless day.
As the foamie stands - the motor cut-out after quite a bit of abuse and crashing upside down into the wooden floor. The right wing has a split in the framework, and I have a "split" in how I feel about planes[:@] O well - back to T-rex compatables for me!![sm=49_49.gif]

P.S. One thing is for sure - the planes on Clearview sim (which I flew easily for days before) have nowhere near the feel of the actual model.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Sorry to hear that you might give her up....I am opposite of you at this moment. I used to fly 450 Heli's, but even after I learned to fly all orientations and loops(not much 3D) the heli was just too expensive to maintain. Working on Heli's is fun but way too demanding for me. Parts giving up in the air causing unwarranted crashes was killing my pocketbook.... Maybe you can casually fly the plane for sport instead of trying crazy 3D stuff? lol It's all fun to me to be outside and ripping it up. Never flew indoors with a plane...

Z

Old 05-01-2011, 02:25 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again Z,

Last post from me. I sold my plane today to a mate that has other planes - this is his first indoor plane I'm gonna buy a [link=http://www.mashobbies.com.au/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=3401]E-flite mCPX[/link] indoor helicopter instead and stay away from planks. It is a whole other skill set (that I obviously don't possess).

Good luck with all of your aircraft types & thanks so much for your time & patience.

I now know that I am hopelessly devoted to helicopters...................