Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Pilot Seduction Freestyle - Conversion?

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Pilot Seduction Freestyle - Conversion?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 AM
artistic-aero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Seduction Freestyle - Conversion?

I have a Pilot Seduction Freestyle, all built and very light.

http://www.okmodel.co.jp/catalog/air...-FS/index.html

The plane was destined for a YS63 but one thing and another and possibly 10 years meant the project was never completed.

So I would like to try an electric set-up, can anybody recommend one? I'd like to emulate the YS63 but nothing more, no point overpowering this plane to silly levels.

I'm a little new to electrics so motor/esc/lipo recommendations and perhaps a little explanation? I just don't get some of the motor terminology (no pun intended).

Span is 50". weight with YS would have been 2kg.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Zim-uh-tosa

Default RE: Pilot Seduction Freestyle - Conversion?

Hello,

Just use all the conversion charts you have available online... Your motor(YS63) puts out 1.5 Horse power. Converting that to an electric motor, the equivalent is 1118.5 watts. This conversion is if you want something to work the closest to your engine. An even better way in my opinion is to find the total weight of the airplane's AUW and then calculate watts per pound on how you want the plane to fly. I would not go under 150 watts per pound for a performance plane like the Seduction.

This airplane with the YS motor on it you said weighs 4.409 pounds(sorry, I am in USA and pounds is what i know so I converted that as well). This means that your plane with an equivalent electric motor would be running 253.6 watts per pound!!! That is sick power no matter how you slice it. if you want a more practical flying airplane, you can afford to drop the power down significantly... I fly 3D planes and keep the watts per pound at around 180 watts per pound and they have plenty of vertical power. My suggestion is to find a motor that puts out around 800 watts and you would have plenty of power to still rip it up.... If you are going to stick with the power of the YS63 then 1118.5 watts is what you will need (if indeed I calculated that correctly).

Here is a motor that has exactly [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/monsterpower-46670kvoutrunner-brushless-motor.html]800w[/link](for some reason the link won't take you to the correct spot of the motor. You will have to type in Monster 46 to find it...). You would need to get an ESC that has at least a rating of 10A more than the burst power of the motor. In this case the burst is 55A, you would then need an ESC that is at least rated for 65A or higher. It never hurts to get a higher rated ESC but it does hurt to one rated lower. You can fry batteries and the ESC...

A good calculation to remember as well for batteries is: voltage of battery x amps of motor = Watts. Many 3D flyers go this route for the extra power of the 4S. In fact doing the calculation for watts with the motor above, they used a 4S battery! 14.8 x 55A= 814Watts..If you used a 3s, you would have to find a larger motor.

Hope some of this helps you and you are less confused.

Good luck and remember to add the weight of everything together, even the motor and batteries that you WILL be using to get the best performance. I am not sure the weight difference from the YS engine and the power 46....

Zim
Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plane is sweet to fly, I had one built and was meant for GP but I converted her to EP. There will be some issues such as motor mounting, you need smallish hands to get to the back of the firewall with your T nuts and battery will not fit into the tank compartment for easy access. Mine was strapped under the cowling, the tunnel for the exhaust, just below the main gear. It helps with the CG too.

My set up was as follows:

Motor - AXI 2826/12
Batt - 4S 2500
ESC - 60A Turnigy Plush
Prop - 14x8

That will give you a light set up a good power. Look for something along the lines of the above.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 AM
artistic-aero

This is excellent, thank you so much. I'm fine with the IC but a little lost in electric and this will help me get acquainted.

Looking forward to flying it, love these Japanes planes, am a big fan. I have a Naruke design from Hirobo that's next on the conversion table but thought I'd start with a favourite. Thank you again for this.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:16 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Artistic ... I am keen on the Raven ... the 68" one, its an ARC ... I love the quality of the balsa and how light it was constructed BUT unfortunately, its really expensive for an ARC. Sad ... maybe who knows, when I strike the lottery, I just may go buy it. Enjoy your plane, she is lovely to fly.