3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Velox 58 Electric Set-up...Please Help!!!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 PM
cadetsmith
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Velox 58 Electric Set-up...Please Help!!!

Hey, First time posting here. Looking for some help. I have a ton of planes but have mostly only bought the RTF or PNP versions. The only "build" I've ever done was an E-Flite Taylorcraft which turned out to be a breeze, especially because I knew exactly what power set-up it needed. Now I've bought a Velox 58" plane and want to put an electric set-up in it. It should end up with a flying weight of ~2680g (according to the manual). It also recommends a C42-50-05 1000kv motor and a 60-80A esc for a 4s 4000mah battery.

I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction to finding a motor and esc that will give me plenty of power for some (hopefully) extreme 3d flying. It would be great to know what prop you would recommend as well. I've been searching for motors that match up with what is recommended but haven't been able to find anything yet so any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:08 PM
mycarisaser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Velox 58 Electric Set-up...Please Help!!!

1000kv on a 4s setup is a bit high. With a 6 pound plane and one that size hummmm???? I am willing to bet a 800ishKV with a 15x7 prop on a 4s 4K lipo (you will need a 100amp esc) would 3D a plane that size much better! What they have speced for you is a sport setup. I am only guess you are going to use this plane for more 3Dish type of flying since you posted this in the 3D section. If you are looking for more pure sport/scale the listed motor and esc will work. Though you will have alot more grunt and fun with setup I am recommending

So say a castle creations Ice 100, A motrolfly 4315 780KV( www.subsonicplanes.com ), APC-E 15x7 prop and atleast a 25C4000mah 4s lipo. Its a great setup! I have it in this plane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcLqNHsT17Q
Old 08-15-2011, 04:41 PM
cadetsmith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Awesome! That's exactly what I'm looking for.  You are right on in assuming I'd like a 3d set-up.  That seems to have plenty of power for what you have.  Thanks for the info and sharing the video, awesome flying!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CadetSmith:

Welcome to the wold of electric flight. Will try to help in as few words as needed. They have allready given you the information needed in general requiring a c42-50-05, 1000kv motor and 60-80 amp controller. You don't indicate the type of flying you intend -sport or 3D. With a Velox bird I assume 3-D.
The C42-50-05 reflects the size of the motor, the 1,000 KV is the rpm's it will turn per volt applied. Frankly I am a KISS kind of guy and do not trust the calculated approch based on manufacturters generally cooked numbers, but you gotta start somewhare. You can go to "motorcalc" and use their approach, or use my KISS approach. I like to know just how much power that motor is going to provide Power = work aka watts in electric mumbo jumbo. So, how many watts you gonna need. in general, you are looking for 125-150 watts per pound of airplane for sport (100 will work, I am power crazy) or 250-300 watts for 3D. Your 2680 grams converts to 4.9 pounds, so we know the 4.9 pound bird wants 4.9 X 300 watts or a motor with 1,470 watts. I have had very good luck with Hobby King's better motors and turnigy plush controllers. For better stuff, consider Hacker motors and Castle Creations controllers (ESC). Best motor deal is on line directly to Hacker USA.

The manufacturer is going to give you a recommended prop size, get one recommended and another 1 size less in pitch. Don't get tight on the ESC size, a little room, more better.

Ah, grasshopper, not done yet. While on line order a decent Watt meeter, just can not live without a watt meeter. Same motors from same manufacturer will give you different readings all to frequently. You just must know what's going on with your system.

Recommend mounting motor and gear on a test stand, or if you must in the bird with the watt meeter in line. Move throttle up and watch watt meeter. At full throttle you want close to 1470 watts, without the system producing a lot of heat, and a amp reading below the ESC rating. A well ballanced system, motor, ESC and battery will not be hot after a short (3-5 second) wfo of throttle. If things get hot, go to a smaller prop until you have the systsem operating at a reasonable temp. My birds come down just warm unless I am flying a speed thing, a whole different world of $$$$. General 3-D flying should bring you around 1/2 or a little more throttle. The reserve power is to get your butt out of trouble when you really need it.

As I said, there are a number of ways to get where you need to be. A lot of informed guys out here. Read up on Red Schoefields "Battery Clinic", and check out Dr. Kiwi, both exceptional people in my book. Enjoy
Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM
cadetsmith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks rmenke! 

Great info.  I guess next time I'll be sure to put what I wrote about "finding a motor and esc that will give me plenty of power for some (hopefully) extreme 3d flying" in bold and in the first line, instead of the second paragraph seeing as no one has caught that part yet  

Old 08-15-2011, 05:07 PM
mycarisaser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 4315 780KV motrolfy with a 15x7 prop will pull 1500watts at full throttle on a 4s lipo. More than enough! I tried a hacker on a few of my planes including that one but man do they run hot. I started getting the Motrolfly motor b/c they are extremely powerfull, stay cool, and are built very well. Again with that set up you will need a 100amp esc. I am using the Ice 100 zand it seems to work very well.

I will also have to second the motion for a watt meter. Its a must have tool!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 PM
mycarisaser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah apperently I missed that part too
Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM
cadetsmith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hahaha, that's cool.  Do you happen to know where to get that esc any cheaper than the $116 that I found at Amazon?

One thing I forgot to ask too, what kind of servos would you recommend?

Old 08-15-2011, 06:43 PM
mycarisaser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They are a standard size servo. So anything like the Spektrum 6050 (analog) or even better the 6060 (digital version) Or the hitec hs-425bb or even better the hs-625mgs if you have the money. Any of those would work just fine. I am only running the spektrum 5040s in the 59 inch slick that was in the video but they are to small to fit in your plane

Ebay has the Ice 100 for $100 shipped
Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
cadetsmith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does the motrolfly motor come with a prop adaptor?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:42 AM
mycarisaser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah it comes with a bolt on adapter and X mount