Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

aeroworks qb 52" extra 260

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

aeroworks qb 52" extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Bobt2
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aeroworks qb 52" extra 260

so, how many are flying? i did a few test flights the other day under brezzy conditions. i did not use the wing plates. the 1st flight had cg issues. after i moved the battery foward, that was fine, but i feel it's a little touchy, even under low rates. does it really need the plates to fly smooth?also needed a bunch of right rudder to climb straight. [torque motor and 12x6] looking for input from people that own/fly them. not knocking it, but i wasn't too impressed [ or is that my over 60 age showing] or am i trying to compare it to my 6 cell extra
Old 05-27-2012, 05:03 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: aeroworks qb 52

Bob 2

At 77, you look like a kid from here. I got to rolling circles at around 75, tough on a older geiser. I think your airframe is not all it should be. I had the AJ Extra 330 and it has not been to the field after the first day. I usually take out my all time favorite, the Presision Airobatics Addiction or Addiction X. These guys are just great and as good as the hype adds. Try one, you will never regret it. ENJOY
Old 05-28-2012, 03:17 AM
Bobt2

i have been trying different thing, but so far, i,m not a happy camper with this airframe.it is not at all smooth. my son flew it as well and he is into the 3-d thing. he was also inimpressed.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:44 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Bob 2:

Am afraid our problems with these airframes is US! The AJ Extra 330 I have is just too unstable for me. It wing wags, snaps out of high alpha and most of the harder 3-D stuff. I have seen the same identical setup airframe in the hands of AJ and it works just fine for him. Has a great deal to do with very good eyesight. If you can't see it starting to fall off, you are behind what is going on and just too late to recover with ease., or at all. The top pilots are simply not from our world. Ever seen a bi-plane fly backwards 30-40 feet. I have, just blown away, just not possible, but I saw it. You had better get going cause that kid of yours will start to make you look bad in a short time. Trust me, get a Addiction X and you will never go back to much else. I do take out a couple of foamys once in a while,a old a old RCX "Illusion" and RC Powers Extra 300 that somehow live through a old man showing off. ENJOY
Old 06-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Bobt2

actually my son is one of the better 3-d guys, he can fly rings around me, and he feels the same way about it.i,ll probably just try to get some $ for it. i,ll never enjoy flying it.i have an older 45" ef extra 300 and it feels locked in, so it,s not me, it's the airframe!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Bobt2

rmenke, i should also point out, i also fly rotary wing, and quite well.so i,m used to touchy controls.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Bobt2

time to eat a little crow. after a whole bunch of flights, making small changes to throws, expo's and a small warp in 1 aileron, this thing is starting to grow on me. or is it getting used to me? i,m really starting to enjoy flying it. now, the big issue is the torque motor is a little weak in pulling out of a hover. it does it ok, but i would like a little more punch for those low level bailouts.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: Bobt2

now, the big issue is the torque motor is a little weak in pulling out of a hover. it does it ok, but i would like a little more punch for those low level bailouts.
I looked at the manual and apparently you have to space the 2814 out so the cowling fits. You could try removing the spacers and fitting a Torque 2812. Awhile back I flew those in a 51" AJ Slick and it was just plain sick. That motor has a ton of power, and you can still use your 4s 2600 batteries, but you will need a 60 amp ESC and a 14/7 or 15/8 prop. You will get more power and because of the added vectored thrust, the plane will 3D better. The 2812 weights 177 grams, which is pretty close to an ounce more than the 130. You might have to move your battery back a little to compensate and take maybe a minute off your timer, but after that you had better hang on.

When this plane first came out I figured the recommended 130 gram motors would be a little marginal. I was waiting to see someone fit a 2812 in one. I am sure it will make a completely different plane out of it.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Bobt2

actually, i,m thinking of selling this airframe and going with the 3dhs48"edge. i don't want another motor and esc this small. i bought this airframe for the combo i had
Old 07-05-2012, 05:21 AM
phillip61

Guys'
I bought this at Joe Nall this year, show special price. If you could have seen the 13 year old fly this, you would all change your mind. I do a little 3d with it, but nothing like him. I put a Tunigy 670 watt
motor and a 60 amp esc and it has unlimited vertical at three fourths power. I love the airplane and it required almost zero trim for my first takeoff. very impressed with Aero Works kits.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Bobt2

just a quick update. did it grow on me? now, i wouldn.t leave home without it. it ended up being a great trainer for harriers which i could never do well. now every landing is a nose high, zero airspeed touchdown. it really is a great little plane.