Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

35% Electric Extra

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:40 AM
RAYGIB
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% Electric Extra

Trying to fly a 35% Hangar 9 Extra 230 with electric power. Presently have what I believe to be a Hacker A-150 installed in this plane. Using Turnigy 200 amp ESC with four 5000 mah 6S Lipos in series parallel combination delivering 44.4 volts to ESC. Model flew once and experienced uncommanded motor shut down after less than a minute, landed dead stick. However, motor came back on to taxi aircraft back. Tried to fly again but motor would not stay running under full power, and sometimes under partial power, shutting down at 70 amps sometimes even when started cold. If power is brought in slowly the system will reach full power and may or may not stay running. When it shuts down, it seems to come right back with reduction of power to idle and then back up. Motor gets hot after a 20 second run. Spektrum DX8 transmitter with telemetry. Batteries furnish no less than 42v when delivering full power at slightly over 200 amps, so low voltage isn't the problem. Have a video of test runs of the motor in the plane, but it is 82 megabytes in size and takes forever to up and download. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61955.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1797200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1797201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89244.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1797202  
Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: 35% Electric Extra

Motor wires don't look like they are capable of supporting anywhere near 200amps. Check wiring and make sure they can deliver the required current.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM
RAYGIB

JZRF6C: The motor wires are 8 gage, and are the ones that came with the motor, the others are 10 gage. The wires don't get warm during a run, but the runs haven't been long enough to really check it out. We are beginning to question exactly what motor this is, as there are no markings, logo, serial number or manufacturers identity anywhere on it. It may be a prototype or a knockoff, and not really capable of handling what we're feeding it. Thanks for your thoughts. Ray
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
flygilmore

I would be willing to bet you have a motor that is different than what you are thinking. It appears either that or some issue with the ESC. Also, couldn't help but notice where the one wire comes through the wood at the top bulkhead...that is an area where it is going to wear through the insulation on the wire at some point. I would try and use a gromet there or something.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM
RAYGIB

Gave up on this. Converted the plane back to 100cc gas. Want to buy the motor & ESC? $250. [email protected]