Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

will lengthening the sticks slow down the control

will lengthening the sticks slow down the control of the ailerons ,elevator and rudder,
    I have a new girl in the anger I never experienced a 540 electric edge by 3D Hobbies, with out exponential I have lowered the aileron rates as much as possible for this model to eliminate the snaps, or twitchy control because of its barn door ailerons, so if I lengthen the control sticks on my transmitter to the max, make them longer will this really help me gain a little more smoothness or control?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: will lengthening the sticks slow down the control

It could. Making the sticks longer will require you to move the sticks FARTHER to get the same controls throws. That is if you fly on or near the tips of the stick.
    The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    --Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy--

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you have been using the radio for some time it may throw you off a bit flying your other planes. What I do with a new , aerobatic plane is the take the recommended low rate settings and cut them almost in half and the same with the high rate settings. Take off on high rates then switch to low when it's in the air. Usually for me the elevator is touchy as well as the ailerons until I get a feel for it. After initial trimming and a few flights the H/L rates can be adjusted a bit . I try to not use exponential as I feel it's better to learn to fly the plane rather than the radio doing it BUT I have used it initially , in small amounts ,on some  planes for the first couple of flights and slowly removed it afterwards.
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you don't want to lower your "rates" any further, your radio might also have "travel adjust" you can reduce the full stroke of each servo. What you are looking for is "expo" to soften the controls near center, but reducing "rates" and/or "travel adjust" is second best solution.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can also use shorter control arms on the servos, and move the push rod to the outer most hole on the control horn.

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer