Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Four brushless outrunner reviews test

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Four brushless outrunner reviews test

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 AM
kunte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Four brushless outrunner reviews test

I wasted $40 dollars plus shipping buying a pair of HK HK3011 brushless outrunners, (on HK site they are shown as HD3011's), anyway they are supposed to run on 2 or 3 cell batteries but they don't. I decided to research for the best suitable one but there is very little information on the net regarding userbility.
Soooo i decided to do my own tests and reviews on the best three which i could afford, to find the best at throttleability, responsive, fast, progressive, linear power and good overall power. I made a video of my findings which you can find on Youtube http://youtu.be/XSt-mF_uxNI I am new to electrics, and am very interested in any advise and knowledge.
I wanted to also include an AXI 2204/54 but couldn't afford the £50, also i wanted a Tiger Motor AT2204-21 but could not find one. The other thing i am very interested in is,,, for 3D flying where you need great throttle control, for a 10-12 ounce foamy is it best to have a 1900Kv motor or a 1400Kv motor? Or is it simply a case of every motor is different and you just have to try them (to an extent, maybe my video proves this?).

Thanks in advance, Tony.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Four brushless outrunner reviews test

they dont work on 2-3? Lipo? or you using a nicad?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 AM
kunte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Four brushless outrunner reviews test

The Hk 3011 (says HD3011 on the motor, HK3011 on HK's website (Hobbyking), does not run on a lipo 3S, i used a 8X4 prop as stated on their spec data, if i remember right, the tech data on the box it came in, also suggested a 8x4.
I am currently trying to get a replacement of Hk, a carry on, they told me to make a video of what happened, and upload it to Youtube so they can verify the fault, i did this, and then they asked me to send it to a laboratory to get the polarity checked out. Lots of time and money spent trying to get a replacement. Will report here their findings, and if i get a replacement.

The Scorpion motor was another big problem, i have many motors now, and they all have a flat seat, so the prop can sit 'square' and secure to the engine/plane. Except this motor, it has a curved seating area, i bought a 7mm drill bit especially to drill out my propellors hoping this would 'clear' the radius and sit on the very small edge of the seat. Approximately only 1mm (1/2 a mmm each side is flat! But this didn't really help as there is simply not enough of the propellor sat on a 'flat' surface. Basically the proplleor is free to twist from side to side and also twist laterrally. It is hard to explain on paper, and some wise guy just said 'drill your propller, so i don't think they understand the problem.
Anyway, my fears were justified when on the first flight (putting on two rubbers to help keep the propellor in situ) the propellor started to make a 'buzzing' 'vibrating' noise, before i could cut the throttle and land it was crashed. The propellor had slipped to one side and there was only one outcome. I contacted Scorpion and they said they can not help, becoz they haven't had any other complaints! Some attitude, i hope someone is killed by a stary palne and they will be sueable, as i have stated there is a design fault.
I offered to make a video for them so they can see the problem, but they are simply not interested. As for my plane, luckily it was a foamy and i glued the nose back on. I then in a **** mood took a file to the motor and filed away the radius, that should not be there, this made it a little better, but propellors are not 'rock' solidly flat as other motors, partly becoz i can not file it as acuraetely square as a machine could, and partly becoz the seating area is simply 3mm less in diameter than what it should be, as other motors are, presumeably to save weight to look good in the data spec sheets etc,. It is for sale if anybody wants it £15