Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Carbon-Z Yak batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Skerts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon-Z Yak batteries

Hey there,
I have the Carbon-Z Yak and I love it however I have two of the eFlite 2800mah 14.8v LiPo's which strictly state on the back that charging shouldn't exceed 1C. My question is, should this advice be heeded? Can I not safely charge these batteries at 1.5C or 2C? I know that it may shorten the life of the batteries but I'll take that risk whereas I don't want to risk a fire and personal safety. Also, I will consider different brands of batteries in the future but this is what I have right now and I'm sticking with them aha.

Thanks,
Jamie
Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Carbon-Z Yak batteries

Many of us are exceeding the manufacturer's max rates on many lipos. I am not familiar with your specific batts , but many of mine are charged at 5-15 times the max rate listed on the pack. Each pack should be evaluated to see it's own specific max rate. There are a few different schools of thought on how to determine the max rate , but many are very reluctant to mention it because of liability. Unlike when using and/or discharging packs there is somewhat of a "safety net" when charging (the cv routine of most all lipo chargers)
Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Skerts

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to charge at the absolute max rate, I'd be more than happy to just charge at 2C as of right now. Can I do a regular LiPo charge at 2C or should it be a balance charge? 

Anyone with these same LiPo's? What do you charge them at? 
Old 05-15-2013, 01:10 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

You can do either one , and it is important that no one cell gets over or undercharged.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:21 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've pushed my stock battery over 1c somewhat. Mostly I run a spec Nanotech packs with it, that I think are rated 5c charge.