3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Pigi 3D from Hobby Lobby

Old 12-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What motor for pigi

Jerry,

Keep in mind that it is a 12x6 e-prop with an 8-cell NiMH pack. Many folks are using a 3s Lithium pack which is equal to a 10-cell NiMH pack. Also, the 11x4.7 SF prop probably has a similar thrust to a 12x6 e-prop since the SF (Slow Flyer) props pull more air but have a lower RPM limit.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 PM
WOT!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[size=2]Has anyone had any experience with iRate Li-poly cells from CBP.com? I’ve been checking out the Kokams and noticed that as far as I can see none of the Kokams come with TAPS built into the pack like the iRates do. I’m assuming that these TAPS guard against over charging or charging at too high a rate. Is this correct?

Also, I understand it’s possible to charge up to 9 cells or so with the Astroflight 109. Does this mean I can charge 2, 3s-3100mAh packs in parallel? In theory this sounds great to me, but I have to think that the charger isn’t so smart that it will make sure that every cell has absorbed its max voltage. It seems more likely that despite charging 6 cells that as soon as one of them hits peak voltage the charger will stop charging. I’m a little confused with the charging aspect of Li-polys… a wee scared too.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:56 AM
leblanc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will the pigi work with hs50's with the pjs1000 motor. OR should i stick with 55's or even bigger?

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 02-07-2005, 07:55 PM
leblanc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What do you guys think about this setup with the pigi 3D? :

PJS1000
Jeti 30 AMP brushless
3-cell 2100 maH thunder power li-po
4 channel micro receiver (size of your thumb)
4 HS-81
APC 11 x4.7 prop slow flyer

Is this going to be too heavy? The servos seem a little big for it. If anyone as a better suggestion for the setup like motor batterie ect... please tell me. I am wanting to do 3D stuff, so the best stuff is needed for me.

And the last question is will the HS-50 be enough for the pigi?

Thanks a bunch

LeBlanc
Old 02-07-2005, 07:58 PM
leblanc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

one thing i forgot to mension is that i want around 7 to 10 min flight at around hovering power.

Thanks again

LeBlanc
Old 02-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Mad Skill
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am running the pjs 1000, 11x4.7 prop, thunder power 3s 4200, jeti 30 amp and jr 241 servos. This has awesome power and can hover very well. The 3s 4200 will give you a longer flight time and more power. I can fly for about 12-15 min. on this setup.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 PM
leblanc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What would be the best setup with a single battery with the PJS1000? I want a hover at around 1/3 to 1/2(MAX!!!!!) throttle. 10 to 15 min would be enough for me fly with.

If you guys can't really say then can any of you guys give me the formula to find how long a battery pack will last with the PJS1000.

I am have a kokam 1500 3S batterie. I think I've seen someone say that he can fly 45min with that setup, rarely using over 1/2 throttle. [&:] [X(] [:'(]

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 02-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Mad Skill
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the 3s 4200 is one pack and should work fine.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:51 AM
PMAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HELLO AND THANKS TO ALL IN THIS THREAD!! I HAVE JUST ONE QUESTION, THIS THING CALLS FOR A 4 CHANNEL RECEIVER, HOW AM I GOING TO GET THE TWO AILERON SERVOS TO ACT IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS OUT OF ONE CHANNEL? AM I JUST MISSING SOMETHING? (UP ON THE LATE PUTTING HER TOGETHER[sm=stupid.gif]) THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!!! DAVE
Old 02-10-2005, 07:30 PM
leblanc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a "y" harness

LeBlanc
Old 02-13-2005, 06:09 PM
WOT!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I’ve got an interesting problem… not so interesting as annoying though.

My Pigi is using a PJS 1000, Jeti 30 controler, and 3s polyquest 3100s I just recently started using the lipolys. My first time out with the new batteries was yesterday. Every thing was perfect and I’m totally loving it. Today I went out for a few flights and about 4 minutes into the first one the motor just turned off. I throttled back and it came back on long enough for me to land. I held the plane and hit the throttle and all seemed good. Back up it went and when doing some hovering (just leaning how to… so at good alt) the motor goes off again. I bring it in and changed the battery figuring that I just grabbed one that didn’t have a good charge on it. Same thing happens with a fresh battery. After putting a watt meter on it I see that the minimum volts was at 9.24 so believing in the 9v cutoff setting, that couldn’t be the problem. But, max amps was 32.48. Seeing that I have a 30 amp controller I’m thinking that must be the problem.

But why today and not yesterday???

Adding to that when I was a third throttle, only pulling 6 amps on the watt meter the motor would shut off. If the controller were hot enough; would it shut everything down? Even if only pulling 6 amps and then just come right back on after throttling down? It doesn’t feel very hot but I can barely get my finger on it in its current location.

Any info / advice would be great!
Joe
Old 04-05-2005, 04:11 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi, i 'maidened' my pigi today but it wouldn't fly. i'm using a pjs1000 motor a 11.1v lipo and a 11x4.7 slowfly prop. don't know the plane's weight but i was really dissapointed. the battery was fully charged. it seems like you other guy with this setup are haveing no problems with it. i was thinking of doing a few things to get it airbourne, like running a 2600mah 14.4v battery, trying a 9x3.8 slowflyer prop or simply buying something like a pjs1500. any thoughts gratefully received...
Old 04-05-2005, 10:53 AM
WOT!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Grounded,
I seem to have the same setup that you have. One thing you didn't mention is what speed controller you're using. I started out with NiMH batteries and a 30amp controller. When i switched to LiPo's i had a problem with the motor cutting out mid flight (see above posts) i switched to a 40 amp controller and all is good now.

What exactly do you mean by it wouldn't fly? Like it wouldn't run or every thing seemed to function but wouldn't get off the ground? Do all your control surfaces work? Does the motor turn?

The set up you have flies like a champ so don't go changing anything just yet. I bet there is a simple to fix problem here. I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

joe
Old 04-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi Joe, thanks for the reply. i'm mystified as to why it wont fly. i bought the electrics from hobby lobby and am using a 30amp jeti ESC. the motor runs to full power and was using a fully charges 3cell thunder power lipo 2000mah. the control surfaces are all ok, but perhaps the elevator could do with being on a higher setting.

it wouldn't rog so i tried hand launching it. it just mushed to the ground wallowing for about 5' and landed in a 3 point attitude. the cof g is correct. i was pretty liberal with the epoxy when building but i dont have anything to weigh planes with just now so i can't tell you the weight. i noticed my exact same setup works well with you others. i'm getting some 12x6 props but they wont be here for a month or so. the 4 cell lipo is out and i suspect the psj1500 is just adding weight. don't know what to do. maybe my motor is not good or the battery. i've got a 1500mah 3 cel kokam that i'll try as the 2000mah bat is new. thoughts gratefully received !!
Old 04-05-2005, 12:00 PM
WOT!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, as you can see from my experiences, you might have a problem with pulling too many amps for that 30 amp controller. But that's not why you're not getting off the ground.

I'm not sure of your level of experience with brushless motors so i don't want to insult you. But it sounds like the prop may be turning in the wrong direction. When using a brushless motor you can reverse the rotation of the motor by switching any two wires. The motor should be turning in a counter clock wise direction if the plane is facing you, and the lettering on the prop should be facing away from the motor. If it's not turning in the correct direction simply switch any two of the three motor wires. If all that is right you might want to make sure that your prop adapter is tight on the motor shaft. Sometimes everything seems fine at low RPM but at full throttle the motor can spin faster than the prop if not tightened properly. If none of that is the culprit then i'm as stumped as you without being able to see it in person. The only other possibility would be an altitude problem. But i think you would have to be at an extremely high altitude for that prop not to fly the plane at all.

Here are some numbers and stats on your setup. Unless you covered the whole air frame with epoxy there is no way it can weigh more than 28oz. With the 11x4.7 prop and your fully charged lipo you're making anywhere from 35 to 42 oz of static thrust (according to motocalc) and pulling 32 to 34 amps at full throttle. With this set up, full throttle launching at a very steep of an angel isn't a problem. Let me know if any of this helps. Good Luck!!

Joe
Old 04-07-2005, 02:35 PM
leblanc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How long does the flight last with the 2000mah thunder power batt?

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
WOT!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LeBlanc

I'm using Polyquest 3s 3100's which are rated at a constant 35amp rate of discharge with short bursts of 46amps. I can hover at half throttle or so, probalby less if i were better at it. With my 11x4.7 i pull a max 33amps at full throttle. I've never timed a single battery flight time but i have 4 of the same batteries and i usually start flying at about 7:30 and finish at about 10:30. That of course includes a few 5 minutes breaks here and there. If i had to guess i would say that on a windless day i get about 18 to 22 mins of flight time. when there is some wind i get about 24 to 26 min of flight. Sorry i don't have any info on the 2000mAh thunder powers.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:30 AM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

managed to get my pigi airbourne this time, although it was a bit windy, i just wanted to try it again, after it wouldn't fly last time. this time i used a 3s2p 4200mah lipo instead of the 3s 2000mah and a 12x6 prop. did 3 rolling take offs and it got into the air no problem. plane got blown straight back each time, not the best conditions for a maiden, but at least i know it flys now. looking forward to getting used to it and then getting into 3d tricks. thanks for the help, you know who you are !!!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:32 AM
WOT!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can't really call you grounded any more. Glad to hear that you got her up in the air. i wonder why it went up with the with the heavier battery. Quick question, where in relation to the landing gear plywood do you place your battery?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i tape the battery under the fus, behind tyhe lg plywood, using velcro. i marked the battery position were the c of g is correct.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:40 PM
WOT!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When i measured out the CG to where the kit says it's supposed to be i found the battery to be to far back. In fact, some people in this thread said that the stock CG point wasn't good for much of anything other than hovering. So like a lot of the people here, i found that if i move the battery toward the nose by about 50% of the batteries length it flies much better. In this configuration, the rear portion of the battery would be at the CG point and the front of the battery would be right at or a little past the plywood on the bottom of the fus. you might want to experiment with moving the battery around a bit. When i was first flying the pigi i found that in strong wind having the battery closer to the nose made it more stable. While on windless days having the battery in the position i described above made for nice slow stable flight. Have fun!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:18 AM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone have any thoughts on using a Hacker B20 18L 4:1 with 2100 TP lipo?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i flew my pigi for the first time since last year. the last flight had a bad take off and ripped both the wings off, but i epoxied them back on. anyway today it took off fine and i was turning it around in a slight dive to do a loop when one of the wings came off. it's a shame as i was gonna practice some hovering and knife edges. i couldn't find the wing in the 2m 'jungle' that surrounds the field, but the plane was ok. it snows here for 3 months during the winter after which the jungle is flattened, so if i'm lucky i might find the wing next spring, hopefully in one piece (but i doubt it). if no wing, then i'll just have to burn my pigi hahahaha