Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Ultrafly Ultimate

Old 04-14-2006, 12:08 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrafly Ultimate

Most of my experience is with glow,but I am ready to purchase an electric plane.I am seriously looking at the Ultimate as I had seen one at the field and wanted to take it away from the owner,flew very nicely(modified power)
There is one at the store,but it is a combo with engine.A C/13/28 brushless and gearbox.I want to be on the top end of power,and I dont know if the supplied power will be for me.
Any comments on the supplied motor and gearbox?

http://www.ultraflymodel.com/airplanes/ufla1075.html
Old 04-14-2006, 05:34 PM
nitro wing

Default RE: Ultrafly Ultimate

The store owner was ok with me breaking up the kit and not paying for the supplied power.I purchased an E flite Park 400 outrunner for the front of this Bipe.
Have to save a few bucks and will control the Ultimate with a DX6 Spektum 2.4 GHz radio and purchase a few other things.But I know it flies very good and it's worth waiting.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:23 PM
cje0114
My Feedback: (27)

I doubt the 400 will be enough power for this plane. It shoulf fly it around, but that's about it. Don't expect much of anything in verticle power. If you want good power, I would use the 480 at the least.

Chris
Old 04-29-2006, 10:37 PM
nitro wing

I am new to electrics and I think I made a mistake on motor selection..I talked to a guy with the same plane and I think he was pushing close to 300 watts.Cant get a hold of him now,but his Ultimate had unlimited power.
I'll dish out another engine if need be.What other 3D applications do you recommend this Park 400 outrunner for?
Old 05-27-2006, 11:28 PM
nitro wing

Ok,corrected the power supply with an E Flight Outrunner 480 (910Kv) combined with a Castle Creations Phoenix 35 amp speed control.Soon the radio will go in and a suitable battery..it's taking awhile.This thing aint gonna be cheap by the time it's done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31976.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	467489  
Old 05-31-2006, 10:02 PM
nitro wing

Very little talk on his thread.Are only a few flying this thing?Hopefully I'll be up in 10 days or though.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:26 PM
SS2P

I think u have a great setup and you will have more than enough power to make 3D. Since ur new to electrics, check the instructions carefully. Especially on Li-Po batteries.

here is a great review about your plane:

http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4926

Here is a video of it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/articles/ezo...bipevid256.wmv

I think you will love the plane

Paul
Old 05-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Loswave

That park 400 should be good for any 3d plane that weighs between maybe 15 - 19ish oz. I have a park 370 in a plane that weighs by my best guess 15 - 17 oz, it works fine. I find that eflite seems to underate their outrunners... That 480 ought to have more than enough power though, I hope you enjoy.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
nitro wing

Thanks guys.I have checked out the above review and video awhile back..another reason to purchase this bipe I finally seen the guy that had the Ultimate in the first place that interested me,he did have a 480 with a 35 amp speed control and 12x6E APC.
Still want the Spectrum radio,but thinking of going with some more powerful servos insread of the S75's that come with it.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:00 AM
nitro wing

Ok,ended up with a JR radio XP 6102 with 241 servos (17 OZ torque)
Running the E fligth 480 outrunnner with Phoenix 35 amp and juiced by a Flight power EVO 20 2150 lipo.
maiden went well and immediately felt comfy with it.Took off from grass in 15 feet at 80% power.Pretty solid in the air.Flew like a .40 size plane.Previous reviews showed that 100mm CG is consevative,so I slid the pack in a little ways to get aft CG.Flew just to my liking.Can fly nose high and ultra slow.Hovers at half throttle and pulls out hard.Flew for 13 minutes and Triton charger was only able to put in 1300 mAh,and I was good to go again.another 12 minute flight without power loss.This time the battery was a bit to far aft and CG became pitch sensitive even with 50% expo.No bad behaviour though.I landed with some throttle to control descent and landed at a walking pace.Flies very well and can do so slowly.Harriers good.I need towork on some set up possibly,as precision was not its strong point today.Things were a bit sloppy and coupling was noticable.Will report back after some tweaking.

Name:	Om32139.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	471399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34947.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	471400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96838.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	471401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88673.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	471402  
Old 06-04-2006, 11:17 AM
SS2P

Hey,

sounds good How heavy it is? I mean it has to be pretty heavy because you have 2100 pack, oversized motor etc.. But I usually like heavy planes because their very smooth [8D] Nice pictures

You'll love it!

Paul
Old 06-04-2006, 11:39 AM
nitro wing

I am pretty sure it's still light and barely over specs.I am not using the gearbox,so saved a little there.At work we have a digital scale for mixing automotive paint which is accurate to 0.1 grams.I'll let you know tomorow on the exact RTF weight.I'll get some vid later too.if it stops raining for a few minutes.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:02 AM
nitro wing

Went out on on Sunday to test a few things.My battery is able to shift a bit ,so the CG is able to change somewhat.I am flying with an APC 11x4.7 that was supplied,which seems to work well.My flying was a little OFF that day,and I had a video camera on me.With a forward CG I was unable to lock into any good Hovers or Harriers,but the video shows that this is a good power combo and with some care in setting up this little Bipe has potential.Ends up that I under and over corrected in a Hover and smacked it in....
It's all fixed now and looks and flies fine.
In fact I flew it 5 times since and the CG is where I like it.It performs much better rounder loops,inverted is sweet looking with a touch of down required.Point Rolls and Knife Edges are looking really good.
I am using an APC 12x6 now,and Hovers are more relaxed with better pull authority.Tailslides are tricky but look really cool,Still rocks the wing in Harrier,but I am certain I can tame this also.Here is the link to the bumpy flight that led to the mishap.I'll make a new video of the imroved flight characteristics in a few days.
Oh and the final weight after repairs with battery(203grams) was 840 grams/30 OZ. RTF. The manaul had a target of 760 grams.I am 80 grams or 2.8 ounces over,but she flies light even with power off.

http://media.putfile.com/WM9_256Kbps_download_NTSC-96
Old 06-06-2006, 12:17 AM
SS2P

Hi,

I looked at your crash... It seemed like you used ailerons too much> you were trying to use ailerons to make corrections instead of rudder. Really nice video anyways another mistake was that you pulled over in a hover. If you are hovering (and you aren't sure in those pull offs) than you should try it up high. I've made many mistakes like that. Low level hovers cost a lot. I pancaked my old 3d foamy while I was trying a low level torque roll. I found the motor to give excellent power to you Ultimate Bipe, nice setup.

Paul
Old 06-06-2006, 12:30 AM
nitro wing

Actually I was way too slow on the correct rudder input,after I let it tip over backwards,and should have hit the power earlier...learn from mistakes,no biggie,it's flying well again
Old 06-06-2006, 11:48 PM
SS2P

I see.
Your flying is VERY similar to mine. I felt like I was flying there by my self. You made the same mistakes and the same +'s

GO FLY!

Paul
Old 06-07-2006, 12:33 AM
nitro wing

I did not know you had one too.What is your set up?
I got the CG at 110mm.Balanced it upright on the top wing.Flies nice today.I had some unwanted aileron differential that I took care of tonite.Should clean up the rolls.After that I will maxx out all the surfaces for travel as I still have them at a fairly conservative setting.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:44 PM
SS2P

Hi,

I don't have one.. yet! But my neighbour has one, and I have flown it about 25 times. His using Hacker A30-28S and gets huge power of it. Since he had so big motor, he had to get a smaller pack. His using TP 1320 3 cell.
Prop is... 9 x 6 APC-e and it works great.
BTW, I'm not a hundred % sure on the hacker motor... I think that's what it is.

Paul
Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 PM
nitro wing

9x6 prop seems awfully small...A park 370 will turn an 11x4.7 and my 480 swings a 12x6 APC.How come he had to get a smaller pack with a bigger motor? The batery bay is big enough to almost get 2 packs in there,or are his batteries big in physical size?
Since I posted in the 3D forum I should probably mention that Ultrafly does not advertise this as a 3D plane.I dont claim it is either.My somewhat overweight set up is flying really really nice,in the umlimited aerobatics.If the weight was kept to an absolute minimum then maybe one could coax it into some good 3D.I will practice alot more and evaluate my latest trims and see how it is.Hope to bring a video soon.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:17 PM
SS2P

Well, as I said, I'm assuming that setup. He has a hacker motor (dno which one?) I'm sure that his using TP 1320 pack. He gets only 6 minutes of flight. I said that his using a huge motor (heavy) thats why he wanted to stay still light and used smaller pack.
Yep, I was wrong with the prop... it was something else...

Sorry for the wrong info. The plane isn't mine that's why I don't know a lot about it.

Paul
Old 06-09-2006, 12:29 AM
nitro wing

No worries..nice neighbor to let you fly it [8D]
In my opinion,if I build another I would try very hard to stay under 800 grams RTF.
I really like mine but will admit that she is overweight when it comes to slow flight,rolls are sloppy at low speed,and lots of elevator needs to be fed in when putting around.Of course hovers are simple now,'cause it has loads of torque to pull out of anything.It really does fly like a larger Nitro Ultimate,and does so very graceful and with tons of authority.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:28 AM
tillythebear

I have just completed my Ultrafly, Is there any issue If I was to put the 3 cell 1700 liPo in the cockpit, the CG works out at around 110-115 or should I try and get the battery in the front.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 AM
tillythebear

Attached is a photo. I made an aluminium engine mount to support the AXI 2808 outrunner so there is a bit ouf weight up front, hence my feeling that putting the battery in the cockpit may be ok ?

Name:	Ay74662.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	481149  
Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
nitro wing

Sure..if the CG comes in at your posted settings.Just make sure the battery is really secure and cant flop out.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:44 AM
nitro wing

Got a little video here.I am guilty of repeating the same flying sequence a few times,but it gives you an idea how she flies.It was windy ,but she handles wind like a 40 size or better.It is a touch heavy,had a few repairs from flying it into the ground
I'll make another vid with more variety of aerobatics.
http://media.putfile.com/Ultimate-foamy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.