Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Precision Aerobatics Katana MX Build

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Precision Aerobatics Katana MX Build

Old 04-05-2018, 11:21 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Precision Aerobatics Katana MX Build

Got some time to get started on my Katana assembly. My wife bought me the Pro version that comes with the power package and servos. I also picked up a Futaba 7 ch. receiver and some Dubro servo screws. It should be a really fun plane!

Old 04-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Steve

Ok,
Got some work done on the wings! The first step in the build is to install the aileron horns. I used a small needle file to open up the hole in the horn for the clevis screw. Then I sanded the bottom of the horn where the epoxy will be applied before fitting it into the aileron slot. I used my exacto knife to remove the covering over the slot and sealed the edges with a trim seal iron.

Last edited by Steve; 04-05-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Steve

I also had a nice surprise in the box, as PA upgraded my servos to the Hitec 5245's instead of the smaller Hitec's that were out of stock. I used my trim iron to seal up the covering around the servo opening. I make a slice in the center of the opening, and stop just before the carbon screw plat, then cut from each corner to the slice I make in the center of the opening, keeping the covering in place, but pulling it out of the way to open up the servo hole for the larger servo's. That way I can seal the covering down and inside the servo opening once the servo fits the opening. I used a carbide bit and dremel tool, working slow and careful to open it just enough to get the servo in without pressure. I pre-drilled the servo screws, installed the screws, then removed them and added just a little medium CA to the bottom threads and re-installed the screws without over tightening! I used the Dubro servo screws with washers for securing the servos, as PA doesn't want you to use any rubber grommet, and the supplied screws in the servo hardware are not threaded all the way up.

Last edited by Steve; 04-05-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Steve

Got the wings finished up! I had to use the round servo horns supplied with the servos, as they matched up best with the holes in the carbon ones. I also sanded the round horns to I didn't get any binding on the clevis's at full deflection. Putting the control rods together wasn't hard at all, and they needed very little sanding to get the proper geometry. Once every thing was fitted, I used medium CA as Loctite, Just a dab on the ends of the exposed threads after the screws were installed.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Steve

Got some more work done. I glued the elevator hinges in place. I also like to seal my hinge gaps from the bottom and I happen to have some transparent yellow covering. It worked great to seal the hinge gap and is hardly noticeable. I also got the rudder and elevator servo slots opened up for the larger servos and got them installed. I wanted to get them installed before I glued the stab/elevator in place, as it's easier to work with the fuselage without it in place. I used the wires that came in the kit to extend the servo leads, and made a short vid of the process for anyone interested!

Old 04-23-2018, 07:05 AM
Steve

Had some time to get a little more done on my KMX. Got all the holes opened up, and installed the rudder and elevator servos.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:33 AM
Steve

I also got the stab, elevator installed. Assembled the rudder and installed it. Sealed the rudder and built the elevator and rudder push rods.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Steve

The next step was to prep the motor box. To glue the carbon side stiffeners on, I used 30 minute epoxy. I also cut some plastic strips to rest on top of the carbon plates, then put a piece of foam, scrap ply, and rubber banded it in place to put a nice even pressure on the carbon plates while the epoxy cured. To re-enforce the motor box with glass cloth, I tried using the supplied glass cloth strip, but it was too thick to mold nicely to the inside of the frame. So I went to my go to method. I used 2oz glass cloth and finishing resin in all the areas that require it. The 2oz glass cloth molds very nicely in and around all corners.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:05 PM
Steve

It was a 3 step process to get the carbon side plates and glass cloth in place. I trimmed all the excess off, once dried, and put a little epoxy on all the joints as well.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:39 PM
Steve

Old 05-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Steve

Got my KMX finished up. I used the provided method for installing the motor and cowl. Fitted the spinner and prop, and got the first flight jitters out of the way! With the heavier servos in the tail, its a little pitchy, but I can program a lot of that out. I'll get some video up when I get some time on it!