Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Advertised aircraft weight

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Advertised aircraft weight

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advertised aircraft weight

I've built several ARFs obtained from Hobby Lobby, Northeast Sailplanes etc. using the exact motors, ESCs and batteries recommended by these suppliers. Invariably, the weight of my models comes out a lot heavier that these people say they are. For example, I built a Triangle, and the advertised weight was 11-14 oz. Well guess what, mine came out 20 oz. Come on guys, why don't you build these airplanes yourself using what you recommend and give us the weight we can expect. I really can't change the weight significantly, because there's nothing to change. I'm not adding anything to the kit nor can I alter the weight of the motors, ESCs and batteries. Let's be honest.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:07 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Default RE: Advertised aircraft weight

happens with basically every single company!!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Okay, that's a bit unfair. I just looked up the Triangle on the NSP website, and they recommend four different power systems that very tremendously in weight. I have no doubt that if you built the plane using the lightest power combo, it would come in at worst slightly over the advertised weight. Which power system did you use?

A 3-cell Kokam 340 weighs 3oz. A 3-cell Kokam 1500 weighs 8.4 ounces. 5.4 ounces, most of the difference between the maximum advertised weight of 14oz, and your 20oz AUW.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:34 AM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

Matt, I think you need to check your battery weights again, or maybe you guys are using the same scale to weigh things. Tom
Old 05-23-2004, 08:43 AM
salnsp

My Triangle weighs in at just a hair under 13 ounces with 3-cell 830 mah li-poly, MP Jet 25/35-20 Mk2 and phoenix 25 speed control. It weighs just about 14.5 ounces with a 1320 TP 3-cell Li-Poly

I fly over 90% of ALL the models we sell. The weights are based on what we get for flying weights. I put in the range based on this weight. For the rest we go by manufacturers weights or friends that are flying the model. Sometimes we do make a mistake, but i would have to say that the triangle werights are fairly accurate. I think you could get to 20 ounces if you added a much heavier battery and motor system.

If you built it with a PJS-550R motor and ran on 2 cells you could easily get the weight under 12 ounces.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:02 PM
3dandpatternflyer

A 3-cell Kokam 1500 weighs 8.4 ounces.
Yea right! it weighs only 3.8 oz
Old 05-24-2004, 08:03 AM
billyshaw

i personally think you need to fly the plane .... stop worrying about weight, if the plane flys good then you are OK...... simple as that!