Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

World Models "Fun World EP"

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

World Models "Fun World EP"

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: World Models "Fun World EP"

I got the 35mm flying photos back but they still need to be scanned. Here is the video of my AXI-fied Fun World EP. I love this plane and setup because at 3.25lbs...it really rocks!

Note that we didn't have time to set the proper thrust angle and balance for hovering. The torque from the 14x7 prop was evident and the CG still needs to be moved aft.

[link=http://www.gregcovey.com/RCU2/FunWorldEP.wmv]Fun World EP video[/link] (6.5meg)
Old 06-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Greg Covey

Here is World Models' "Fun World EP" Ready-To-Fly. This flight was after the maiden voyage on a different day. While across the street from work, we tried to take-off in a short cement area that went straight into some tall grass. Just as the plane lifted, the elevator tabs on each end caught the grass and broke backwards. We continued the flight as the performance seemed unaffected.

I repaired the elevator tabs for the video on the following day and added some flat carbon fiber rods along the outside of each elevator end. I still need a bit more weight in the tail for good hovering. I'll be flying this model all summer long so I can slowly dial-in the right mix for awesome 3D performance!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15098.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	146845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65487.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	146846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32367.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	146847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42867.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	146848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw18172.jpg
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	146849  
Old 06-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Greg Covey

The Fun World EP has excellent flying orientation with the dual covering scheme. My AXI-fied setup can hover at 1/3 throttle and pull up into an accelerating climb.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94688.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	146850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67976.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	146851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52593.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	146852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80182.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	146853  
Old 06-25-2004, 06:07 AM
uniquewon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,

Great review, I am seriously considering getting one myself. Seems like a good deal at $99.

Can you tell us what kind of duration you're getting with the setup?

Thanks,

Gene
Old 06-25-2004, 07:58 AM
Greg Covey

Hi Gene,

Thanks. Yes, the plane is an incredible value at that price.

I haven't even made my full throttle current measurements yet but I suspect it to be in the upper 30s. The plane needs so little power to fly that most of the flying is done at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle but you can still kick in the afterburner for powerful knife edge passes or pull-outs from a hover when needed.

All of flights have been around 10 minutes and my AF 109 Lithium charger says it puts back about 1.3AH. I suspect you'll get 15 minutes of mixed flying or much longer if you're just flying aerobatic circuits.

Another contributor to the flying time is that when these new Kokam cells are not pushed to their rated limits, the actual flight duration goes up. We first saw this effect on the little 340 cells in our indoor flying when we were drawing 1-2amps and the cell can deliver 6amps.

I've been keeping the wings on my Fun World EP since the 50" span fits perfectly across my Ford Explorer. The model is light enough to carry around with the wings and battery packs installed without any problem.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Greg Covey

My finished model, less decals, was RTF at 52.5oz (3.3lb) using the 4-cell Kokam 2AH pack, AXI 4120 motor, and APC 14x7 e-prop drawing 38amps at full throttle.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:02 AM
uniquewon

Greg,

What do you think of this AXI option for the plane?

http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...id_odkazy=m_ac

It's 5.28 oz vs 11.28, looks like some weight savings and with 2S2S 2000s it seems above 350 watts.

Gene
Old 07-22-2004, 07:51 PM
vkmaynard
My Feedback: (1)

How would it fly with a 282010 and ThunderPower 3S4P 8200?

Victor
Old 07-25-2004, 08:53 AM
Greg Covey

Gene,

The AXI 2826 motor would work great! It wasn't available when I was building my Fun World EP.

Victor,

It would fly with the 2820/10 but I wouldn't expect good 3D or long vertical runs...only good pattern aerobatics.

I flew my Fun World EP at a local show yesterday where the club members had never seen any electric larger than GWS models. We took off and went straight up until it was a dot in the sky. The announcer said, "Ok, let's see you do that again!" over the PA system. So we did, over, and over again. Needless to say, we got everyones attention...and respect.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Greg Covey

My [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=372]Fun World EP Review[/link] is published.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Greg, fantastic review! I am somewhat new to E-power and read your write-up with great interest.

I just bought a Fun World EP, too. It will be mostly a lunchbreak knock-about airplane for me. Finding time to go fly my gas and glow planes is becoming increasingly difficult, so I'm forced to look for ways to get my RC fix at lunch time and after work. Many of my "wet-power" models are giant-scale airplanes, so I didn't find the buzzy 400 and smaller parkflyers very attractive at all. This one looks like it's large enough to fly like the airplanes I'm used to.

My question is: what would a good motor set up be for general sport (non-3D) flying? I have a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXGCW2&P=V]Kontronik Jazz 40-6-18 Brushless ESC[/link] I can use but no motor yet. I would like to be able to take off reasonably well from short grass, but it's not a big deal if I have to fly off concrete. I don't need to hover, but would like to have decent power for doing basic aerobatics.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Greg Covey

Thanks.

This type of plane should fit your non-flying field needs very well. It can be landed extremely slow, even without any power.

My favorite type of motor for an application like this is an outrunner because there is no gearbox. This means virtually no maintenance is needed and there are less things to go wrong.

Try looking at the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2826.htm]2826/10[/link] at Hobby Lobby for $120. This should work fine with your Kontronik Jazz controller on either 8-10 cells NiCd or a 3s-4s Lithium pack.

The motor can be pushed to greater power if you decide to upgrade the ESC or battery pack. I am currently investigating an early cut-off issue in the Kontronik Jazz controllers that has been also confirmed by Steve Neu and Hobbico. The controller seems to shut off the motor at a current level less than the rated continuous current capability. This should really be 5-10amps above the rated maximum current level.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Greg, thanks for the reply. having seen your video with the larger 4120, I think the 2826/10 will be more than plenty for my flying. The 2826 is only a few dollars more than the 2820, so it has the best price point. I think I may just get the Jeti 40 ESC with it, especially if the Kontronik Jazz has potential problems. I don't want my first major E-power effort to be complicated by weird problems.

If this thing proves to be as fun as I think it will be, I may convert some of the 3D glow airplanes I still have NIB (Phoenix Models Funstar 3D 46, UCD3D 46 and 60, FuntanaS 90). This whole 3D thing just hasn't clicked for me (maybe because I can't get enough stick time to get good at it), so these built-light airframes might serve better as E-conversion sport flyers.

Great website BTW. I will be studying up on more of your conversions.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Greg Covey

The Jeti Advance 40-3P ESC will have two advantages, three if you use the Opto version.

The Advance ESC has a Hard Timing mode meant for these outrunner motors and it also uses current limiting instead of motor shut-off. This is a far safer approach when exceeding the current capabilities because your plane still flies. There is nothing worse than a motor shutting down from an over-current situation just after take-off.

The Opto-isolated version reduces motor noise back to the receiver and allows up to 16 cells (or 5 Lithium) to be used.

You'll like the 2826/10 motor. Use the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2826.htm#Mounting]PM282002[/link] Radial Mount Set for mounting the motor and reinforce the firewall a bit as I did.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:02 AM
RC4

Awesome review and a great looking plane. I was just about to buy one until I found out about the upcoming Mini Funtana electric by E-Flite. Both look like great planes, but I personally like the style of the Funtana a little better. Anyway, great write up.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:51 AM
weedy-burton

Hi Guys,

Im getting this plane for christmass off the wife and was shopping arround for a suitable brushless set up, but the near new OS 40la on the shelf in my bedroom keeps catching my eye and is nearly 60grms lighter than the brushless motor (AXI 4120/14) I was interested in. So my question(s) is/are, will it fit (I know it will physically fit ,Im more interested in weather this is a sensible thing to do with this plane and if so what structual mods/bracing would you guys recomend and will it have enough grunt for good vert performance.

All thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Weedy
Old 11-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Greg Covey

Weedy,

Your OS .40 glow engine will likely shake the Fun World EP apart. I wouldn't recommend it.

As an alternative to the 4120, use the lighter [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2826.htm]AXI 2826/10[/link] motor on either a 10-cell NiCd pack or 3s Lithium pack with a 13" or 14" prop. This motor was not available when I did my review.

Happy Holidays!