Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

BRUSHLESS MOTOR "CHATTER"

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

BRUSHLESS MOTOR "CHATTER"

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 04:07 PM
TORK232

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRUSHLESS MOTOR "CHATTER"

IM USING AN EFLITE 2015-5400 BRUSHLESS IN A GWS 6.6 GEAR DRIVE AND 12X6 PROP...CASTLE CREATIONS PHEONIX 25 ESC, 3 CELLS. WHEN ADVANCING THROTTLE THE MOTOR IS VERY JUMPY. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? I HAVE TRIED ALL PROGRAMMING OPTIONS ON THE SPEED CONTROL WITH NO SUCCES.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:21 PM
mdavies31

Default RE: BRUSHLESS MOTOR "CHATTER"

I have a 2015-4100 and everything else the same as yours.
It sometimes, not always, is jumpy just above idle, gets smooth as I increase throttle,
only happens with a fresh charge on the battery.
I'm thinking sometimes I charge the battery more (maybe to much?) and the higher voltage is
a problem, I don't know.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:59 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its the chatter that you get on the way up as you increase throttle JUST as the motor starts to turn its normal. Mine will do it if you advance the throttle 1 click at a time till it chatters then one click and its turning freely. Then go back down 1 click and it either continues to turn free or stops spinning altogether.

I THINK what is happening is that the current to the motor from the throttel input isnt QUIIIIIITE enough to get the prop spinning freely. Once you get enough current going to the motor it will overcome the resistance and spin on up. I believe this because as I said, if you get it spinning then come down 1 click at a time it flat wont chatter because the momentum already has created enough energy to keep the prop spinning free at very low current..

Just a guess......
Old 09-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Levi_Jordan
My Feedback: (21)

I'd suggest writing an e-mail off to Castle creations and ask them about it... coupld be a fault processor, or s simple fix... ???
Old 09-07-2004, 06:05 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Levi,
All of the guys I fly with have the CC25 ESC and every single one of them do this.. Are you saying that it should not chatter as it starts up at low low RPMs? Mine only does it if you try to roll the motor just above stop. If you give enough throttle to instantly get a few more RPMs it will roll up smoothly.. I dunno,, you have tweaked my curiosity now....
Old 09-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Levi_Jordan
My Feedback: (21)

No, all mine do that too... little prop chatter and high pitch tone as it starts. But my chatter stops at around 200 RPM... I thought the post sounded like it chattered with any acceleration.

If this is just when the motor starts, thats totally normal. But higher RPM's it is not. I had a buddys esc that chattered continualy when he applied power, and kept on doing it right up to just under full power, and so i thought it was the same thing. (His problem only arrises with e-tec 1200 packs, the thunderpowers work fine...) [&:]
Old 09-08-2004, 12:37 PM
soaringtuna

Depending on what motor you are using, you may need to select hard start (fatest you can get) to get ride of this. I had the same problem with my CC25, on my AXI 2808/16. I chose hard timing, problem all gone.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:30 PM
TORK232

thanks for all the input guys. i called castle creations and was informed that the latest and greatest program update cures this. by the way, this occurs only with a slow start from no throttle (idle?). once it is spinning the problem doesn't occur. hard start programming on the speed control does help quite a bit, but the motor will still twist the mount out. some lite ply braces cured this. i will try to find a patch cable for the esc and download the new start profiles. otherwise, couldn't be happier with the setup.