Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Eflite Ultimate flight problem

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Eflite Ultimate flight problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 07:09 PM
sslandry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eflite Ultimate flight problem

Took the maiden voyage today. Running the Eflite 370 Brushless with Himas 6.6:1 gearbox and TP 3S lipo. Had the battery mounted on the cabane mid way to give the recommended 3 3/4" CG. Flew terrible with the tail down. My question is - Where does everybodies CG fall with the battery mounted at the leading edge and should I even worry about it ? Also, The stock Gearbox main gear stripped the splines the firts time I spooled up the motor in my living room. Nobody has the stock gearbox in stock so I'm guessing this is not an isolated insident. Any thoughts?
Scott
Old 12-02-2004, 05:29 PM
RCflyerAce
My Feedback: (9)

I have just completed my eflight Ultimate, after reading all these threads I will go ahead and relocate my 2s 1500 Lipo to the top of the cabane at the front edge.
I broke my engine in with the water technique, this was strange to me ( New to electrics) but it seemed to do the trick, with the stock motor and the 2s lipo this thing wants to take off vertical out of my hand with authority.
I have a problem with my aileron upper/lower connection, I have a terrible differential between the top aileron and the bottom aileron, I think it is because I positioned the control horns facing the trailing edge of the ailerons on all four, upper and lower. any suggestions? I am afraid if i try to remove the control horns I will break them. As far as I can interpret I should have faced the control horns facing each other??? is this how you successful guys did it? By the way I know of a source for these planes. I wish I had purchased the eflight brushless 370 when I bought this thing. now it seems they are backordered everywhere. I hope I can get some help with this, I am extreemely excited about flying this thing.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:48 AM
WhtBronco

The differential has been taken care of by others by mounting different control horns sticking out from the trailing edge of the ailerons. FWIW, I have mine setup stock and the differential is not a problem. It rolls quite axial and fast.

Are you fortunate. My Ulty with the stock motor and a 2s li-po was miserably powered. Barely enough to fly the plane. I currently am using a GWS 400 which is better. After Christmas I will be getting a brushless motor, ESC, 3S li-po and a new charger. I think I am gonna get the Himax 2812/0650 motor. It’s direct drive and will bolt right on to the mounting stick. No mods required. I’d like to get away from the gear drive.

I have found that setting just a tiny bit of flaps makes the plane fly very nicely and it does not climb inverted. I have also mixed the elevator to flaps. It flies so much better, really tight loops, sweet harriers and short take offs.

All in all it's a nice little plane, but expensive compared to glow, can't handle wind very well and charging takes too long.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:05 AM
will

You can get the 370 motor at
www.willstech.com
Old 12-05-2004, 02:47 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

WHTBronco.

A GWS 350 should make it rock. Im flying one on my Shockflyer, and its a rocketship.
Turn a 1047 prop. It should take that thing vertical NO problem.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:42 PM
WhtBronco

Well I am certianly interested in more power cheap until I can get a brushless setup, but how will going from a GWS400 to a 350 going to possibly improve performance? The 400 is barely adequate, IMO. No where hear the power needed to hover, but it will fly around.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Bruto

ORIGINAL: bdavison

WHTBronco.

A GWS 350 should make it rock. Im flying one on my Shockflyer, and its a rocketship.
Turn a 1047 prop. It should take that thing vertical NO problem.
It will rock only if the plane is light. like the shockflyer.
AUW is 12oz for the ulitmate. What is your shocky?
Old 12-06-2004, 02:48 PM
willflyforfood

I just got finished airbrushing mine, very happy with the results. I am still waiting for all of my stuff to get in to finish, but right now I am getting the pull pull set up on the elevator and rudder. Has anyone else done this? Also has anyone played with the incidence on the wings? I keep hearing about this horrible pitch coupling in knife edge, but is this due t the battery placement?

Thanks, Joey
Old 12-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Bruto

coupling should be minimal with the correct vertical CG.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:19 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sslandry
The stock Gearbox main gear stripped the splines the firts time I spooled up the ....
This happened to me and I am now looking for the Himaxx gearbox. I went to my LHS (Sheldon's) but they are out of everything and they don't answer the phone to tell you that they are out of everything![:@]
Old 12-06-2004, 05:06 PM
harrymc

ORIGINAL: sideshow

ORIGINAL: sslandry
The stock Gearbox main gear stripped the splines the firts time I spooled up the ....
This happened to me and I am now looking for the Himaxx gearbox. I went to my LHS (Sheldon's) but they are out of everything and they don't answer the phone to tell you that they are out of everything![:@]
Bob,
The same thing happened to me with my Tribute. I called Horizion Hobby and they sent me a new gear box. But that was months ago and I believe now they are out of gear boxes (funny how they aren't out of them in the kits???
I had a mid-air about a month ago and bent my main shaft on my Ultimate. I called Horizion and was told they currently don't have the gears boxes or the main gear and shaft in stock but after a few angry phones calls, they discovered that the Parkzone Slow-V main shaft and gear will fit. The gear is white and you have to use two washers (included) on the back of the shaft to take out the slack but they work fine. I ordered half a dozen to keep on hand and our LHS ordered about the same to support the local flyers. The part number is PKZ1304. I hope this helps you and others.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:13 PM
harrymc

One other thing I forgot to mention. Since that first run up with the Tribute, I've had no other problems with the included gear drive (other than the mid-air, not E-flights fault). Like you, I was ready to get rid of that gear box when it failed on the first run, but decided to call Horizion first and I'm glad I did. Only problem now is getting Horizion to support it's customer base out here with parts for these things! By the way, the cost for the replacement gear and shaft is about three bucks.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:23 PM
rmgmag

How did you attach the carbon fiber struts to the cabanes and the bottom wing?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:53 PM
pattern3dflyer

I have over a hundred flights on my E-flite Ultimate and here is the trick. ( I love that plane... awesome!) Bump your battery pack forward maybe an 1/8 at a time, when you can trim the elevator so that it can fly upright and inverted without applying up or down stick, hands off. then the CG is set perfectly.

I discovered this because I use a TP 730 mah and Kokam 1500 mah packs and some flights it would balloon upwards (tail heavy) even when inverted. I never realized how much 1/8" change in CG matters with these little planes. The pack must be high too. The way to set the height is like it says in the instruction manual. Put a little hole in the fuse behind the prop and hang it on a wire. It should be perfectly vertical.

When you learn exactly where the pack should be by flying it don't worry about where the instructions said it should be, you now have it right for that plane. Make sure you put it on the sweet spot each flight. [8D]
Old 12-11-2004, 10:57 AM
sideshow

I received the Himaxx gearbox and it's very nice...though it should be for $25. Other than it looks cool and the gear should hold up better than the Eflite box, I think I'll have fewer problems with bent shafts. The shaft that the spur is on is very short and you use their prop adapter that seems very stout. I don't think it will bend during "normal" crashes....though we'll see.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

The shafts on Himax gearboxes don't bend, they break. I know.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:57 PM
sideshow

OK, cool. I'll get a few spares......