Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Fairfax County Virginia law on flying R/C Aircraft in county parks.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Fairfax County Virginia law on flying R/C Aircraft in county parks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 11:45 AM
WhtBronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairfax County Virginia law on flying R/C Aircraft in county parks.

I stopped by a local park this morning for a quick flight with my Eflite Ultimate. When I landed I noticed 2 county workers walking towards me. One of them was a supervisor who told me he thought, for me, it would not be a probem to fly in the park while it was not in use by others, baseball and such, since I was obviously a competent pilot but he just wanted to let me know that it is illegal. I asked for how long and he said at least 20 years, I've only been flying R/C for 15 years.. I was surprised since I used to fly at the county parks all the time as a teenager with glow helis and planes. Now I limit flying at the park to just these small, flimsy electrics. Heck I used to fly my Concept 30 heli on the CIA property sports fields before Rugby practice, no one ever said a word.

Anyone else heard of this law?

I couldn't find anything about it in the VA Code and I didn't know that the counties in VA could pass their own laws.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:57 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fairfax County Virginia law on flying R/C Aircraft in county parks.

Chris, a little googling came up with this.

Note that this amendment was passed only in 2002 it's not 20 years old as the supervisor stated

http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/parks/pa...olicyframe.htm

§1.17 Remote-Control Devices and Powered Models or Toys

No person shall operate hobby rockets, remote-control gliders or powered remote-control or tethered planes, boats, cars or other like devices in a park except in areas designated by and with the express written permission of the Park Authority.

No penalty is mentioned associated with the violation. Looks like a good time to set up a year to year lease for some of the land.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:54 PM
WhtBronco

Thanks MajorTomski I didn't even think to search Google for it. This totally bites. The only reason I bought this plane was for a lunch time break. Oh well, I guess I can still fly it in the cul-de-sac at home. I'd look into getting a field, but there is no way they will grant permission for an R/C field around here. The rich folk wouldn't have it. Not to mention I live 70 miles from here now. There was a field the county owned and R/C was permitted until '91 that was about 30 minutes from here. It's now a soccer field. I only live 10-20 minutes from 3 AMA R/C flying fields, I just don't have time to go flying on the weekends much. Well only 7 times this year I have been to the flying field.

BTW, I did find on the page:
A VIOLATION OF ANY OF THESE REGULATIONS IS PUNISHABLE AS A CLASS FOUR MISDEMEANOR PURSUANT TO THE CODE OF VIRGINIA §15.2-5705. UPON CONVICTION, THE PENALTY IS A FINE OF UP TO $250.

I pasted it in all caps since that's how it is on the counties site.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Levi_Jordan
My Feedback: (21)

Right... so let me get this... in VA you can NOT safely CONTROL a flying object... but you can uncontrolabily smack a BASEBALL around the park as hard as you want.... [&:]

Sounds like you need to get some prople with half a brain in the legislative branch.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:41 PM
WhtBronco

You are so right Levi. This place has been taken over by rich people in the last 20 years. I grew up here, and no cannot afford to live here. The closest AMA R/C field is at least 45 minutes from here if there is no traffic. With traffic it can take up to 2 hours to get there. I am a competent pilot and quite frankly I rarely crash. The real problem is newcomers and kids htat pay no mind to others in the area. I tried last night to fly at a local park before I knew about this law, the ark was full of kids so I went home. It would irresponsible IMO to fly with a 100 or more kids around even with this little 12oz park flier Ultimate I have.

BTW, I really like your Pitts model. I don't kow that I'll get 1 though since my lunch time flying has been curtailed. I am really bummed about this. When the parks are unoccupied I don't see why I can't fly a small, lightweight model.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:20 PM
RC4

Yeah, that stinks. Must just be a local law, cause I searched the State Laws and couldn't find anything about it.

Here's a link to the Virginia State Law database:

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm
Old 10-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Levi_Jordan
My Feedback: (21)

I'd say go fly! What are they gonna do... take your planes plate # and send you a ticket???
Old 10-28-2004, 05:52 AM
RC4

Well, I don't recommend ignoring the law. However, you may want to talk to the park manager and see if you can get written permission to fly there when the park is un-populated. The law did state that exceptions can be made. Just tell them the situation. You've got 15 years flying experience and you're only asking for permission to fly a 13 ounce electric park flyer during times when it won't be a danger to other park users. Explain to them that you fly on your lunch time and that flight times are less than 30 minutes. They might just be reasonable people. ;-)
Old 10-28-2004, 08:01 AM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Chris;

I live in Leesburg and there is a big (~25 acre) "regional stormwater retention pond" (which is bone dry - always) behind my house. The City maintains it by cutting it about twice a year, so there is some "landing padding". A buddy of mine has a shock flier, and we fly out there quite often (he is waaaay better than me - he doesn't crash [:@]).

Two thoughts:

1) Look for one in Winchester, since it is technically not a park (just a large open space) the park laws should not apply, and you may find a great flying site.

2) Come fly with me I am just getting back into rc after a loooong hiatus (~10-15 years) and am real rusty, but I do have fun (and have gotten good at repairing damage

PM me if you want to get together...
Old 10-28-2004, 08:11 AM
akahoverit
My Feedback: (2)

Lets have a major fly-in there lol. we'll teach'em, we will take over the town with foamies.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:29 AM
typicalaimster

I had the same problem flying at the Loundon County NoVa CC campus. This is really nothing new. I ended up joining Nova R/C 'cause of it. I've flown at a few parks in the NoVa area. As long as you don't have the rich soccer brats there with their parents you are pretty much fine. Northern VA is so over developed that finding a place to fly in the city is almost impossible. Thus the stupid laws went into effect to protect stupid people from stupid people. You may know how to fly your model... However the rich little 12 y/o that just bought one of those park fliers does not. Nor does his dad or anyone around him.

Another fun VA law is the whole School Zone law. The state puts up "Entering School Zone" signs with flashers. However if the school itself does not put up the "End School Zone" signs, or they are not clearly posted (aka hiding behind a tree).. You can blow through that area at the posted speed limit for that roadway and not be held responsible for speeding.

On a lighter note. Northern Va R/C is thinking about doing a Mall Show at the Dulles Town Center or the Fair Oaks Mall. Although it's still up in the air, we'd be looking for any talented electric pilots when the time comes. It would hopefully take place on a weekend some time about Easter. We figured we could bag a couple of the young kids and their parents as things warm up.

--Scott Fuller
Old 10-28-2004, 01:36 PM
WhtBronco

TerryE There's plenty of places for me to fly around my house. 3 AMA flying fields and lots of park land that seems to be okay to fly at. I just don't have much time on the weekends to get out and fly, though. My family keeps me busy.

Tucraver We used to fly at the Loudoun Tech Center until they finally developed it. Heck I flew for months on the land the STerling Home Depot is on with gliders. I even lost a $1200 electric glider there. The thermals were so good I could not get it down, even inverted it kept climbing so I decided to dive and hope to not over speed. I failed and the wings ripped off. Although we watched it fall all 3 pieces we never found any of it. I don't Loudoun is quite as bad yet. Let me know about the Mall show. Although Chuck in my club might let me know as well. He just moved to Winchester and joined PCRC, but is still a member of NVRC.

Though I will really miss being able to fly during lunch breaks, it's not worth the risk of a ticket. A $250 ticket at that.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:11 PM
ElectricDurango

Terrery......where is that in leesburg? I ued to live on thomas mill behind county HS......

now i live near lowes island off algonkian parkway.

i fly my pigi, ss, rambler ep at algonkian park all the time in the 5-6 soccer fields by the boat dock. They say be permit only, but i have never been talked to in any stern way......one of the ranger people sat and watched me for like an hour one day....he asked where do i go to buy one of those.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:26 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

gotta love VA laws. What is funny there is a park near here that is fairly small that anyone who has an AMA card can go to. It is not a club but we have permission because a guy in another club (we have 4 here) got a bunch of trainers and is teaching homeless kids how to fly Cheritable cause. I have even flown my U-can-Do 90 there even though its a little tight.

BTW its on the AMA list too
Old 10-30-2004, 07:28 PM
WhtBronco

ElectricDurango quite some time ago we used to fly floats planes at Algonkian. The boaters/anlgers got scared and we were run off by the Park Rangers after about 2 seasons of it though. Maybe you, Terry and I can all get together for some flying in Leesburg.

This has made me think of all the places I used to fly as a kid and how those places have changed. For R/C all those changes, the growth in the area, kinda bite.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:01 AM
TerryE

I am on Linden Hill (Between Country Club Drive and Greeway). The field can be accessed from either, but its probably easier off of Greenway farms road.

Terry

ORIGINAL: ElectricDurango

Terrery......where is that in leesburg? I ued to live on thomas mill behind county HS......

now i live near lowes island off algonkian parkway.

i fly my pigi, ss, rambler ep at algonkian park all the time in the 5-6 soccer fields by the boat dock. They say be permit only, but i have never been talked to in any stern way......one of the ranger people sat and watched me for like an hour one day....he asked where do i go to buy one of those.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:04 AM
TerryE

Oh yeah, forgot to mention there is a 325 acre field right across the road (rte 15) from me

We are deep in a fight with a developer that wants to put commercial + 1365 houses on it [X(][:@][:@][:@]

That would over double the traffic on Rte 15 and take away a great flying field...

Terry
Old 11-01-2004, 06:26 PM
RC4

You know, these types of changes are not new and they are not limited to RC either. I drive a 4wd truck and I also race Motocross and ride 4-wheelers. Places to ride, off-road, mountain bike, fly models, go camping, hiking, enjoy nature, etc. are being lost everyday. And why? Not because of new laws and construction development, although that may appear to be the direct cause. The REAL cause that everyone keeps denying or ignoring, is the lack of immigration control and population control in this Country and most of the world.

Diminishing natural resources, overcrowding of the East and West Coasts, increases in crime, loss of usable land, pollution, global warming, loss of wildlife species, etc., etc., etc.

I could go on and on about this. When will the world wake up and realize that sooner or later all nations will have to stop this population explosion before we suck planet Earth dry?

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:02 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

I can totally agree about route 15. Its freaking horrible! I fly at the PWCRCF field at the boy scout camp. I have to take 15 to get there, and on that one lane road, it gets pretty bad.
About the laws, ive got run out a lot. But the next day i come back.. Half the cops that stop me are like.. Cool where you get it etc. And the other half come up with an army any chase me out. Oh well. I go to school at Strayer University in Manassas and right across the street is a huge open field. Granted its the manassas battlefield park, I fly on it anyway between classes. Its something to do.. Im going to stay there untill i get run off. Till then..
Try some of the local elementry schools. Most of the schools dont really care, as long there is nobody there using the field. So far 4-5 schools I tryed they didn't care if i did.. But i did ask before i took everything out of my car.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:22 PM
WhtBronco

I know for a fact it is against the law to be on a public schools property during the school day unless you are there for school busienss. This goes for all of VA due to kids being taken from the schools.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:21 PM
ElectricDurango

drumbum..... would that be great falls forest, va?

also i was flying at NOVA college they have like 12 soccer fields all side to side, back to back etc.....until a cop said you cant do that here....its a flying uncontrolable projecile. Like a soccer ball isnt? I think he was just pulling crap out of his ass on a power trip.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:00 PM
RC4

If you think about it, there are kites that are heavier and larger than most electric park flyers. My 3D foamies weight less than a pound. I wonder if they have laws against flying kites in public parks, too.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:27 AM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

No I live in lynchburg. the neighborhood I live in is around Thomas jeffersons summer home http://www.poplarforest.org/hist.html . I can see it out my window. Its called popular forest. so now 24551 is forest va..
Old 11-03-2004, 07:52 AM
typicalaimster

ORIGINAL: ElectricDurango

drumbum..... would that be great falls forest, va?

also i was flying at NOVA college they have like 12 soccer fields all side to side, back to back etc.....until a cop said you cant do that here....its a flying uncontrolable projecile. Like a soccer ball isnt? I think he was just pulling crap out of his ass on a power trip.
I wasn't chased off by a cop. Just campus security. He isn't paid enough to put up with my crap. I went ahead and sent a letter in to the head of campus security. That was 6 months ago. I haven't heard anything back. I don't plan on hearing anything back. I have been flying in Sterling park right behind the Bryer Patch. There is a school next to it. It's a great night flying place for electrics. You can run pilons around the lights!