Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Mini Funtana Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:48 PM
conradj87
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Funtana Set Up

The motor on my plane has always come down warm, so maybe that is the problem. The esc and battery never really heat up, except for when the motor went out on me. I was just now looking at horizon's specs and the speed control has a constant capacity at 20a while the motor's max. capacity is 18a for 15 seconds. I have the bad habbit of flying at full throttle too much, so this was probably the cause. Is there any way to program the speed control so i can't go above 18a? any other ideas to prevent this?
Thanks for your help altacom
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

There are a couple of options.
1. Go down one size in prop. That will reduce the current, and in many cases actually increase performance due to allowing the motor to operate in its greatest efficiency range. In general, length of the prop relates to thrust/pull, and pitch relates to speed. In theory if you use a 6 pitch prop, the plane will move forward 6 inches for every revolution. This is not completely true, due to other factors, but can be used as a general guideline. Both contribute to current draw and voltage drop. So reducing the length especially will reduce the current draw. Pitch to some extent, but not as much.
2. Trim your plane to fly level - hands off at half throttle, and then only use high throttle as needed.
3. Go to a motor that is one size larger and capable of handeling higher current.

Speed control ratings are not changeable. What you buy is what you have to live with. It has to do with the components they use to build them and is pretty much locked in granite.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 PM
conradj87
My Feedback: (1)

wow that helps alot. I will try tweaking it a bit.
Thanks again
Joe
Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

I have heard about quite a few failures with E-Flite ESC's.
phillip
Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
altacom

I've had extremely good service out ot the Electrifly ESC's from Tower hobbies. Never had one fail on me. Have had Jeti's and Castle Creation both fail on me, and avoid them when possible. However when drawing 60+ Amps, they are the only way to go. They seem to make the Higher AMP esc's a bit stronger.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:55 PM
perpetualrepair

Have just been given a Mini Funtana, it's been flown but came with no servos motor etc. i have a park 480 and a 35amp ESC 3s TT etreme 2100 ma battery, would that setup work?.
Am totally new to electric being mainly a Nitro large scale flyer, any help appreciated.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

ORIGINAL: perpetualrepair

Have just been given a Mini Funtana, it's been flown but came with no servos motor etc. i have a park 480 and a 35amp ESC 3s TT etreme 2100 ma battery, would that setup work?.
Am totally new to electric being mainly a Nitro large scale flyer, any help appreciated.
That's a really heavy setup for the MF. It will fly but not to it's full potential.
Phillip
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74836.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	777567  
Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 PM
perpetualrepair

Saw your post with regard to the Mini Funtana, using a Eflite 480 motor, did it work out OK ?. did it fly well?. would love to hear as i have just been given one and have a 480 a Phoenix 35 esc and a 2100 TT extreme 3s lipo. sounds very similar to your setup?.
Thanks for any help Perpetual Repair
Old 10-07-2007, 07:18 PM
jojomo1
My Feedback: (24)

It was too heavy. i knocked the landing gear off twice. My son finally doinked it in too hard and busted her up . i put the 480 and other electronics in a mini showtime 4d . the mini showtime flies great with that setup I would not recommend it for the mini funtana.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:32 PM
lowwpassjr

quick question. Are yall talking about the mini funtana or mini funtana x
Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 PM
lowwpassjr

i have a mini funtana x
e-flite park 480 1020kv
thunderbird 36 esc
spektrum s75 servos all around
electrifly 2100mah 3s 20c batt
I am fixing to get a seagull harrier 90 3d with a zenoah g20 ei. if anyone has anything similar is there anything special i need to know?