3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

U-Can-Do 3D EP Anyone seen it yet?

Old 03-12-2006, 01:11 PM
ca$hey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3D EP Anyone seen it yet?

ORIGINAL: deb1033

E-Flite recomends a 10/4.7 to 12/6 prop so it should be fine
You might find the 12/6 is for 2 cell but anyway it pays to keep an eye on temps
Old 03-20-2006, 03:27 PM
cfawcett82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hello all.
i just finished reading this entire thread last night and decided to order. this is what i got

LXL307 Hobbico Y-Harness Futaba J In stock, shipping 1 $9.99
LXKZB8 Futaba S3110M Micro High Torque Servo w/Micro Plug 7.3g In stock, shipping 1 $14.99
LM1790 Futaba S3110M Micro High Torque Servo w/Micro Plug 7.3g In stock, shipping 3 $41.97
LM2936 Hobbico Extension 12" Futaba J In stock, shipping 6 $24.96
LXJPU8 Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D FlightFlex EP ARF 33.5" In stock, shipping 1 $64.99
Order Summary

Billing Type: Mastercard In-Stock Subtotal:
Standard Shipping:
Total Current Charges: $ 156.88
$ 7.99
$ 164.87

i dont have any brushless so i will be running the included brushed 280bb
i have jrxp6102, and reciever it came with
i will be buying a 35a esc not sure the brand yet.
and i will be buying a new lipo for this build as well. i currently have a 3c 11.1v 900mAh

i have flown the firebird freedom, and built the gws estarter. havnt flown it yet as crappy weather here in the bay area of CA.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:16 PM
flynz4me
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dude,

You obviously haven't read the entire thread otherwise you wouldn't have bought this plane.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:51 PM
cfawcett82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have read the enitire thread, and that is one reason why im buying this plane.

now for some constructive help, i and considering getting this setup for the plane, $69.00 23808 COOL S 4200 with 25 A brushless ESC Combo, from rc-dymond.com from what i hav gathered from the thread it is a direct replacement for the stock motor.

with that i might be able to run the lipo i already have but will have very short flight times, im assuming. but i will be getting a new lipo in the next couple of days from the LHS, and might even get the brushless and esc from them as well once i complete build minus the motor of course.

tman if your still out there a smidge of insight would be appreciated. if you need to know any info let me know i will do what i can to get the numbers you need. im still new to the scene so not sure on all of the thrust conversions and so forth yet.

thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 07:04 PM
flynz4me

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah the Cool 5400 or the 4200 work well you won't be disappointed in the motor, the plane is another story.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:54 PM
ca$hey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THE PLANE IS GOOD
NOT GOOD FOR EXPERTS
GOOD FOR EVERY ONE ELSE
Old 03-20-2006, 09:58 PM
cfawcett82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i ordered the coll 4200 and 25a esc from rc-dymond 69$ no tax or shipping. that was nice.

so now all i need is the larger lipo. gonna see if i can get a 3cell 11.1v 1500mAh+

not sure of what type to get because i see a Crating that is talked about in this thread and not sure what the c-rating should be.

any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:11 AM
ca$hey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Find out what the amp draw is going to be with motor gearbox and prop get a bat to suit
Old 03-21-2006, 06:18 AM
ca$hey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SOrry i should have explained further 3 cell 1500ma 10c is good for 15 amp draw if it where 20c good for 30 amp you need depending on prop 15 to 18 amp draw if your worred about weight go 1300ma 12c if not go 1500 to 1600 10c i hope this helps
Old 03-22-2006, 09:04 PM
gottabfordtough

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i also have the 4200 motor from rc dymond. you'll love it. i run a 9x7 prop, 3cell 1800mah lipo i run for 20-25 miniutes straight. with short attempted hoverings in the middle. motor stays cool. it'l hover about 5/8 throttle. just over half. and pull straight up forever. still havn't got the hang of hovering yet. i love the setup. im still a newbie. i got into flying last year and have 6 planes going now. some slow some fast some balsa some foam. i love my ucando. i have a flat foamie and it's gotta be 0mph wind. the ucando i fly all the time even if it's windy. it's heavy enough (15.5oz) that it powers through wind. if there's a breeze that's the one i fly, probably why i can't hover well. the plane flexes make no mistake. but it's not that bad actually now that i have flown planes that dont flex the ucd seems more stable. i've put bigger servo arms on the ailerons and they really deflect. that thing rolls awsome. justa note if i remember right the motor and esc have three black wires each coming off. i did trial by error it took three times to figure out which wires whent where. i wish they were color coated or something.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:11 PM
deb1033

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

amen to that part about the crappy weather here in CA.... 21 days of rain this month... and the days it didn't rain it was 20 MPH plus winds
Old 04-02-2006, 11:37 PM
flynz4me

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Stinks about the weather guys. [:@]I was really satisfied with the dymond-rc motor. I toasted a gearbox once but it was my fault then bought a Himax gearbox and it worked out really well. I also tried an ammo motor in it and it was totally awesome but I burned it up. Should have put it on the watt meter. Now my UCD is retired and bought an Airfoilz Yak but that's a different thread. Enjoy guys!!! [8D]
Old 04-03-2006, 01:31 AM
tmaucher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I purchased one ucan do 3d, and have in the way of 20 flights on it. I have 5 or 6 hard landings including 2 that where pretty much straight in. It is retired to the trash can. Most of the negatives stated in this are true, but in saying this i have to ssay that Im thinking of getting the yak to replace. It is not capable of precise manuevers mainly because of the sideways flex under rudder. The material punctures very easily, and tears even easier. allso fixes add to the waight of the plane. In the air the plane looks good and it is fun to fly. I never used the stock motor, kms outrunner and lipos. I guess Id have to rate the plane a 7. If someone has a better idea for a durable non profile plane, let me know.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:49 AM
flynz4me

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want to get the next level of plane the Airfoilz Yak is an excellent aircraft. It has a profile fuse but an airfoiled wing and flies heads above any flat foamy or any foamy I've flown at all for that matter. I have flown mine in wind so high that I walked up to it in a harrier and picked it out of the air (15mph + at least). You know when you retire a plane most people don't buy another... I have bought two of these and both are my everyday flyers. Forget the E-Flite Yak it has a profile wing and they tend to flap. The biggest difference I noticed when I got the Airfoilz Yak was how stable it was but I didn't realize exactly how stable till I flew my UCD again and fought it all flight long. Check out the Airfoilz they are awesome planes and they have a special right now of free shipping!! www.3dxhobbies.com
Old 05-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Edgaras

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi,
Maybe You have more video with U-Can-do EP, very need.Because I buying this model and I don't know what flying.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Maine_Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

retired my u-can-do for the yak55 version.. I must say, it flies much nicer, knife edges with almost no coupling, if I had the choice, knowing what I know now, it would be the yak55 hands down!!.. very happy thus far...

I liked the ucando-- but the yak is faaaar superior!..

rock on!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:55 AM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Am putting together the Yak 55 Flex Flight now, and want to use the kit supplied horns and servo arms if possible. Am using HS-55's and a little concerned about the arms which come with the kit, as they fit the spline, but only engage about half way as compared to the stock hitec servo arms. Anyone using the UCD or YAK hardware had a problem with the kit supplied arms stripping at the shaft? As an alternative, I am thinking of using the horns with the plastic clevis and going with music wire of same diameter as the CF rods, into the horn clevis, and Z-bend into the stock Hitec arms. The Hitec arms are a little shorter, and will affect the geometry a bit, so am looking for other solutions also. Does someone make a longer arm for the HS-55 that fits properly?

Maine Flyer, having experience with both the UCD and YAK, would you think it's still necessary to reinforce the nose area and canopy? Any other observations/ comparisons between the two flex-flyers you want to share regarding the construction or mods?

Thanks, Joe
Old 02-20-2007, 01:07 AM
tele1974

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What paint can I use to change the trim scheme on my Yak55 EP 3D???

Your help would be much appriciated!!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:45 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tele1974

What paint can I use to change the trim scheme on my Yak55 EP 3D???

Your help would be much appriciated!!

You best be getting another plane when your skills have outgrown this one, i know i know, i too wasn't a big fan of the "captan america" trim scheme...

in order to do a good job, you would have to whiteout the blue and red with water based acrylic, this alone would add too much weight to be worth doing, more weight will be added when you do the other colors.

No matter how good a job you do at painting this thing it will still be one of the ugliest planes in the world. (not flaming here, i had one of these as one of my first planes and it served it's intender purpose, and was very sad when i lost it to intense wind that started blowing when i was flying, never found the damned thing)