Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Help an electric newb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 01:02 PM
toddt_02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help an electric newb?

I was planning on the Ultimate from Horizon till I read on here. I've been out of steady flying for about 3 years (happens after you graduate get job etc)..........I'm tired of not be'n able to fly so I am looking into electrics. The F3A not only "looks" good but appears well built. I'm not looking to fly indoors but would like to do harriers, attempt torque rolls, nice snaps etc with whatever I get and just have a fun tiem flying it.

The Great Planes "flatouts" or whatever fliers look good on the site, but of course everything does on the company site..............I didn't see where it posted a price but there is also the new CAP and the "Reflection" bipe etc..............

I've seen where people post saying build your own from plans and a stack of foam...........but how do they fly? I just want something

#1 Won't be destroyed from a hard landing, so rigid (don't know if that word really fits with these planes)

#2 Its fun

#3 3D, even though I'm not an accomplished 3D pilot but refer back to #2

#4 How can I find out about what setups to go with (motor, speed control, servos etc?) Should I just go with a "package" that may be offered or what

Thanks for the help![8D]
Old 04-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Psnap

Default RE: Help an electric newb?

toddt02,

I recommend the 3DFoamy.com foamies. Tough and you can either get them in kit form or build them from scratch from Levi's plans.
They fly pretty good, slow and steady when you want them to and will rip the sky to shreads when you are ready.
Levi's web site will help you with what setups he recommends(its on the plans and on the assembly manuels too.
I keep one in the car and truck ready for whenever or whereever the urge hits me to fly!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 10:21 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I've built several from 3dfaomy.com plans.....

Yes they fly (built of fanfold) and they fly well.....and only take a few hours to build....
great for learning 3D because I don't feel bad when a hover at 6" goes bad and the plane breaks in half....I can have another one ready to go that day!

Of course, If I kept my 3D flying higher in the air, they would last longer.....but where is the fun in that?!?!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Psnap

toddt 02,

Levi (3DFOAMY.com) has even got some Jets (F-18,F-15,X-29,ect.) that are a lot of fun to build and fly too!!!

Surgeon General (Psnaps) Warning:

Warning!!! Warning!!! -- - -3DFOAMY planes and jets are addictive, very addictive!!!! You can't stop with just one!!!!! You have got to have them all!!!!!! HA! HA! HA!

Have fun!!!,

Phil
Old 04-10-2005, 07:47 PM
tylerman

If you are looking for a plane that is 3D and fun there are plenty of planes out there--
But if your looking for a durable plane that will hold up to a crash- there really arent that many planes that are out there.
For durable-I would suggest the Yak 55
For good flying-good looking-fragile i would suggest any of the depron Bi-planes
Tensor 4D
Hell Raiser

Go to www.hobby-lobby.com
Old 04-11-2005, 09:05 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Hmmm.

The F3A is fairly durable. There are other planes that will be more durable, but its ok. It flys great. Since you already have flying experience, it would probably be easy for you to fly around. I really enjoy mine. It just flys really well. It flys best in calm air, but light breezes arent hazardous, just tricky.

The Reflection would definatly NOT be an outdoor plane. Same goes for the Tensor4D. Both of these planes have large biplane wing surfaces, combined with light weight....which reeks havoc in the wind.

The E-flite Ultimate is probably your best bet. Its thick foam, and built like rock...honestly its almost indestructible. Its heavier so it will punch through wind a little better than a shockflyer or something. You'll definatly have to go brushless if you plan on doing any 3D with it. You can of course also fly it indoors, although its going to be a handful.

Setup on a F3A.
BP-21 brushless motor from www.balsapr.com or a AXI 2204
E-flite 20A brushless ESC
2 BlueBird BMS-303 servos (one for elevator, and one for rudder) -* Note*303's are extremely light and dont have much torque, so use 306's if you need a little more durable servo
1 BlueBird BMS-306 servo for ailerons.
Bluebird or GWS 4ch Pico reciever....dont forget the crystal. And make sure its for your radio (eg futaba, JR,etc.)
Thunderpower 11.1V 430mah lipo for extreme performance, or a Thunderpower 7.4V 730mah lipo for normal flying applications.

Setup on a Eflite Ultimate
BP-21
E-flite 20A brushless ESC
Bluebird BMS-371 servos all around
Bluebird or GWS 4ch reciever with crystal
E-tec or Thunderpower 3cell lipo
Old 04-12-2005, 09:39 PM
tylerman

I have a Tensor 4D and there is not any indoor flying facilities where I live.
I am forced to fly out in the wind all the time-The tensor is a handfull but with a heavier battery it is just fine.
For no-wind conditions I fly a smaller much lighter battery that is almost impossible to fly in the wind.

Here's my setup on my Tensor 4D
Jeti 8 amp. ESC
AXI 2208/34 brushless motor
Thunder Power 3s 730 mAH.
3s 1320 mAH.(for the wind-it is an ounce and a half heavier than the 730)
Hitech Electron 6 Rx.
4 HS-55 servos
11.35 oz. AUW with this setup
Old 04-15-2005, 10:02 PM
toddt_02

thanks for the help i'm still reading up on different planes............i don't know why i look so much at how durable, as if i'm saying hey i'm going to crash it a bunch..........i guess just not a few hard landings and fall apart or after a few flights the foam is drooping or something