Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Extra 330 Profile 3D Suitcase Plane - Hobby Lobby

Who's seen and flown one of these? I have a AXI 2208 34 in a Blitz I'm about to retire (that plane was a major dissappointment) and I stumbled onto this plane! Specs (from Hobby Lobby's site):

HKA101 "Extra 330" Electric Powered 3D Suitcase Flyer ARF ..... $ 89.00
    IN STOCK

30-1/2" wingspan, 31-1/2" long, 320 sq. in. wing area, 14 oz. flying weight. Beautifully built, amazingly light laser cut ARF. Initial assembly is very easy and only takes a few hours. Clever design allows you to remove 4 screws, disconnect the aileron linkage on one side and slide the wing out of the fuselage. Same for removing the stabilizer. Airplane is a terrific 3D performer, lightweight and nimble. The thick Funfly type airfoil allows the plane to fly in small spaces slowly; you don't need a big field to fly this model. For 4 channels, Aileron (2 servos), Elevator, Rudder and Throttle. The radio we recommend has servo endpoint adjustments and exponential control movement option. Check out our photos of Extra 330 at the flying field.

[img][/img]

Hobby Lobby's site
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72330.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	259886  
    JR 9303; DX-7; 34% CA Extra 300L/DA100; H-9 33% Edge 540/DA100; EF Edge Profile/S-72; Reactor/S-91; Foamies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Extra 330 Profile 3D Suitcase Plane - Hobby Lobby

I just ordered mine. I'm using a 2212/34 AXI wanted to get another extreme flight mini yak sp55 (my old one RIP!) but extreme flight is sold out, and their voicemail is full! This one looked exactly the same as the EF yak. 2208 might not be enough for hovering pull-out, if its anything like my old yak. the 2212 was a nice setup, not balistic, but very fun none the less.
    -------------
    I could be wrong.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

they are great in the air one of my 3d buds flys one off the coast where i fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOW I'm impressed with this little guy! Got in 4 flights before the rain today. I got it to replace the EF yak-55sp and was nervous that it wouldn't match up to the EF. It flys even better!!!! ROCK SOLID, EXTREMLY ROCK SOLID in a harier, and tracks much straighter in regular flight than the EF-yak. It's 1oz or so heavier, mine's about 16oz and my EF was 15oz. I really like the way the elevator and rudder servos are mounted in the back, it helps the plane balance better. plane doesn't flex as much, and feels more solid than the EF-yak (probly why it's 1oz more).
    I'm using hitec HS-55's and electron-6 reciever. AXI 2212/32 and TP 1320 3s batteies apc 11x4.7 prop.
    I'm super happy with this combo, pullout isn't extreme in a hover, but it's definatly there (especially on the first 5 min of a charge).

I HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS PLANE!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	He97462.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	264085  
    -------------
    I could be wrong.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Compute 42,

I really appreciate your post. My Extra is about an hour from being ready to fly but I havn't selected my batts yet and I love comparing notes with other guys that have the same plane.

Do you fly with the landing gear attached? I followed the directions and got them on backwards, I guess, but I may leave them as they are since she needs nose wieght anyway.

Did you hide any of the gear in the wing or did you let it all hang on the side of the fuse?

I have been excited to fly this plane because I haven't had a built-up wing balsa plane in quite a while. I've been flying mostly foamies for the last year but I had several glow powered balsa profile fun fly planes before that.

So anyway, I'm looking forward to flying a fat airfoil again, but I was also thinking that it would be fun on this plane to build up a spare wing out of foam with a mostly flat airfoil. This would allow me to change out the wings at the field and see how they compared. It seems the flat wings respond to radical rudder inputs better because the flat wing slips sideways better...but I'll get to test this all on the same airframe with this plane.

Bill
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rudder authority is no problem on this guy. I put the Reciver inside the wing yah.... ESC is outside. Reciever and esc are on the oposite side of the battery for lateral balance. I had a 3d foamy flat wing plane, and I like the airfoiled style plane much better. Yep landing gear is needed where I fly (all paved) Let me know if you like it or not.
    -------------
    I could be wrong.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I flew it...Hmmm. It definately does not fly great right out of the box! It is VERY pitch sensitive. I tried using lots of expo and dual rates, but it is still too tail heavy, I guess. I'm going to add some nose weight and see if that fixes that problem. Mine came out 15.1 ounces with 1300 Li Po. I will not add useless nose weight, so I may just have to go buy a bigger 3 cell batt and see what effect that has on the pitchiness. Yes, it is pretty stable in harrier mode, and never tried to snap roll on me, which is good. I'll keep trying things and see if I can get her more to my liking. What is my liking? I guess ever since I built my Super Star Shock Flyer I have not found another plane I like to fly better. It is quite stable when it is supposed to be, but major control authority when I want it, as well, and I fly it on high rates all the time, just a little expo. I love the shockies knife edge- zero roll or pitch coupling...Flies how you would think a 3D flight simulator would fly.

Oh well, it may just be me...

Bill
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,
    I think your plane wasn't that pitch sensitive! I can't wait for you to fly my lil banchee; so you can compare the two. I flew it yesterday and it flew the best it ever has. You and I are just spoiled on our shockys! they're just too hard to beat. I flew mine at Jim's and broke off the wheels in his parking lot. So another repair. Call me when you're going flying.

BTW we are closer to get into a gym to fly!!!!!!!
    If Nixon would have had a banjo everything would have been OK!
    Steve Martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got one o' these babies and it flies very well indeed. The servos mounting in the rear really is not a good thing, though...the plane builds tail-heavy, especially when using a tiny outrunner. Maybe it was designed for a big honkin' gearbox(?).The seller had a 2208/34 on it with the provided motor mount altered slightly and a balsa piece added so that the motor is mounted well forward of the 'intended' location for the mount. The radial mount of the AXI is now mounted approx 3/8" from flush with the nose. I know I confused that(!) The 1320/3 pack was placed dangerously close to the prop and still, it was tail-heavy. I bought the plane sans electrics and mounted my Park 400/720 and 900/3 cell pack the same way, along with an electron6 but added one ounce of lead within the motor mount cavity (I hate adding dead weight, but I had to try something!) The C.G. is now about an inch behind the spar and the plane flies much better! The previous owner flew it and remarked that "now it'll fly without constant (down) elevator". The plane will do any 3D asked of it and it is super-responsive.
    I have one major disappointment with this plane and that is that the claim that it will fit back into its original box (suitcase) for travel is as bogus as the day is long. Its one of those "well, it worked on paper" things that simply will not work in the real world. I know that hardly anyone will take theirs apart, but I actually needed this feature as I travel a lot. The plane does disassemble nicely as advertised, but the box business can't work with a completed plane and the original box. The concept is OK, though, and I'm going to make a slightly larger box to make it work.

Ricky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Balsa and gang,

I'm starting to get her to fly the way it should. I bought an 1800 Li Po to get the balance closer to 3" back and now it is much smoother and controllable on pitch and it flies inverted with just a hint of down input. I'm going to keep tweaking, and it seems my new Hacker outrunner may be defective, so I'm running my Wattmeter to ck that.

About the back in the box deal...yeah, it's a little bogus marketing. I wonder if the Extreme Flight (or whoever it was) suitcase profiles really fit back in their boxes? I'm planning on making a new box for mine out of coroplast with seperate internal compartment for fuse and wing etc. It should still be plenty small to carry on airlines- but will I check it on or carry on?? We'll see...Bill
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill, Coroplast for the box is an excellent idea. Not planning on air travel with it, but surface travel for sure.

I didn't explain myself well on the mount before, for those I confused, maybe this will help:

Ricky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmm, mine flys great, excellent 3d plane, I didn't think it was that pitch sensitive at all, I must have lucked out with the balance on mine... I'm gonna order a saftey backup of this plane I saved the box for my extreme flight yak, so I'm gonna use it as a travel case. yah, they arn't the easiest to dissasemble and re-asemble, but it isn't too bad, only takes about 20 min
    -------------
    I could be wrong.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HI Guys,

I have around 10 flights on my 330 suitcase Hobby Lobby plane now. Unlike a foamie, when I opened the box and looked at the quality of parts and stuff included, I immediately felt like "I got my money's worth." I used Futaba 3108's all around with thte Dubro extended servo arms. I tack-glued the receiver inside the wing panel and mounted the speed controller on the fuse, under the wing. I'm using a HIMAXX 2025 4200 with APC 11x7 prop, and alternate between Koham 900 3C lipo and Thunder Power 1320 Lipos. I also shortened the landing gear around 1.0" to stiffen them up a bit. Also, used socket-head servo screws to hold on the wing and stab as the supplied screws are about 1-2 threads short of really engaging the supplied wood dohunuts.

Without any special attention, the weight turned out to be 16.2 oz RTF with the Koham 900 3C pack. I'm using the large Dean's connectors, have probably 3" of extra wire between the controller and battery, and used regular extensions from the Rudder and Elevator servos to the receiver (instead of micro), and used a standard "Y" harness between the aileron servos.

Now using the 11x7 prop, the "punch-out" from hover is blistering. First flights used the 10x 4.7, then the 11x4.7, but definately, the 11x7 is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, power setup is great - wouldn't change it. CG: I've ran it from tail to nose heavy, but the best all around seems to be where it will just about fly hands off inverted. I wish though that I could take 1 -2 oz off the total weight, and I'm thinking of trying a smaller battery pack.

Negative(s): This thing gets "snappy" when it slows down. It can quickly drop a wing tip if you don't apply the power at the right moment. This is not as stable in the harrier or high-alfa as the Extreme Flight Mini-3D, but is very close to my Zoom Zoom 4D (15.5 oz RTF with same Koham 900 3C pack). If using a stick mount opiton, you must apply some 1/32" ply around the soft balsa front stick to make it the correct size and have something for the motor attachment screws to bite into.

Positives: First and foremost, it is definately worth the $79! The looks, quality, ease/quick assembly, and all around good flying qualities make it hard to beat! The box idea is great, and with some extra cardboard, you can template the idea to make a box that will really work. However once assembled, it really doesn't take that much space.

Any ideas on dropping weight: reduce excess wire, micro extensions, smaller pack???
    Thanks,
    Jim W.
    Team Futaba - YS Performance - Morgan Fuels
    R/C Enterprises - Aerotech - Budd Eng.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Use a shotgun case. 31 by 13 inches take out that egg crate foam in it and put something smaller and it would pack up great.. This is what i am reading in a review.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just wandering, what is the current draw for a roughly 1000 rpm/v motor with a 10x4.7 or an 11x4.7 sf prop, anyone close to this setup, if not what is your motor kv, prop and current draw?
    -U-CAN-DO .46 Electrified 5.5lbs 1kW
    -Mini super Sportster 1.5 lbs 200 watts
    -Fliton Mini Edge 540 1.2 lbs 300 watts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a thought to keep weight down, tried it, and it worked well. First my setup. I put this plane together very inexpensively for those of you who are budget minded like me.

Tower pro 12star motor $19.00 xus hobby 12 star motor
    extra 330 suitcase plane via ebay $79 free S&H
    Tower pro 15 Amp brushless speed control $35.00 ESC
    Tower pro SG-90 servos qty 4 $10.00 each, xus hobby
    dual conversion m5 v2 reciever $45 (had glitch problems with previous single conversion recievers)
    11.1V 1100 mah 8C lipo xus hobbies $23.00

With this setup, and a APC 10x3.8 slow flyer with almost exactly 1:1 thrust to weight, only pulls 5.5 amps. I have a 11x4.7 apc slow flyer ordered that should push me up to about 1.5:1 thrust to weight, estimated current draw 7.5 amps.

Anyhow, the way i saved weight was for the rudder and elevator servo, instead of using two servo extensions, i got some 28 gauge wire, snipped the leads of the servos, and soldered only one power and ground wire for both, and independent signal wires. so basically, i eliminated two extra wires, while reducing the standard 22 or so gauge servo wire to 28 gauge. If you want to do this, take the red wires from the plugs, solder them together and then to a single power wire, do the same with the ground (black) wire, and then run seperate signal lines. this may have saved me almost an ounce in wire i believe, and less wires to route. I'm going to recheck the thrust with the new prop and check the overall weight and snap some pictures for my next post.
    -U-CAN-DO .46 Electrified 5.5lbs 1kW
    -Mini super Sportster 1.5 lbs 200 watts
    -Fliton Mini Edge 540 1.2 lbs 300 watts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just received my HL suitcase extra 330 and would like to start building it soon. Does anyone have any advice for me before i dive into this project? Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i cant understand how they want you to do the landing gear setup. anyone have any pictures that could help me out? I can figure out a few ways but its bugging me that i can't figure out what they want me to do

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had to do a little grinding to fit my landing gear on. Flys ok, I put some carbon fiber tape down the bottum of the fuslage. Because of the extra cut out for ailerons and servos in the tail I think it's a little floppy. Next plane is a Skeeter using same gear.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

davids24beer , the Skeeter 30 rocks. I've got about 13 hours flight time on mine and it simply flies great. Stable in a harrier, solid hovering, flies fast very well(tracks great). Oh and you'll love the kinfe edge figure 8's. Mine is 14oz with landing gear.
    Chris
    Wish I was flyin\'!