Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D buddy as a first E-Plane

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

3D buddy as a first E-Plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:56 PM
VIC VIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D buddy as a first E-Plane

Hey guys, i'm about to buy the 3D Buddy, as i say on the tittle of the post this is going to be my first electric airplane, i know some stuff about electronics since that's what i studied but i've never flown an E-Plane, well i tried to fly an electric PBF once but it never flew it was to heavy (bad designed by me ), just to be sure this time i wanted to try with something already designed and tested . I was thinking on buying something like an electric trainer but i know that was going to be bored pretty soon so i decided start with the real stuff, something that didn't need upgrades plus i want to start to do real 3D maneuvers, after looking at some web pages, read a little bit and watch some real nice videos i decided to go for the 3D Buddy, it comes with the brush-less power system, it's portable and has amazing flight characteristics. My doubt is that i'm not really sure if i could handle this guy, i've been flying for 3 years and consider my self as a intermediate pilot, i started with an avistar then buy a Dazzler a couple of years ago then made a PBF (Good stuff), on the last months i've been doing some acrobatics with my dazzler but there is a point where you want more from your airplane but it just can't give you what you want, so i want to start doing some real 3D aerobatics and also want to start with the electrics. What do you guys think??? is it a good choice or am i going to far for a first E-Plane???

I'm planing to buy the plane with the brush-less combo and a couple of 900mAh Li-Po batts, they recomend the 1500mAh batt for outdoor and i'll be using it outdoors but i rather buying two 900mAh batts instead of one 1500mAh for the same price, i made the math and i think i'll be able to flight something between 6 and 8 mins which seems to be good. I'm already thinking of a design for the charger (i know i can't be the same as NiCad or NiMH).

I also like to heard some general advices about Electric flight.

Here are some links of the airplane:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=461
http://www.ultra-rc.com/store/produc...products_id=33

Good flight.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Fly-n-3D

Default RE: 3D buddy as a first E-Plane

I think you should get it. The 3D buddy is a nice airplane.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Zagiflyer576

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all, im assuming you already know how to fly right?if you do, go for the buddy, it looks like an awesome plane and im considering buy one for myself here soon. if you have never flown, then go with a trainer, it wont get old quick when ur learning.

as for the charger...you make it sound like you are going to be making one yourself??? bad idea...just got out and spend 50 bucks on a hobbico feildcharger. it does nicads, nick metal, and 1-3 cell lipos. and it can charge 2 at once. just incase you are still considering building one, plz watch one of the videos of a lipo exploding...that is what will ahppen if you dont get it JUST right...its not pretty
Old 06-05-2005, 12:29 AM
VIC VIC

ORIGINAL: Zagiflyer576

first of all, im assuming you already know how to fly right?if you do, go for the buddy, it looks like an awesome plane and im considering buy one for myself here soon. if you have never flown, then go with a trainer, it wont get old quick when ur learning.

as for the charger...you make it sound like you are going to be making one yourself??? bad idea...just got out and spend 50 bucks on a hobbico feildcharger. it does nicads, nick metal, and 1-3 cell lipos. and it can charge 2 at once. just incase you are still considering building one, plz watch one of the videos of a lipo exploding...that is what will ahppen if you dont get it JUST right...its not pretty
i already khow to flight, i've been flying the Dazzler for more like two years no problems. i just don't know how difficult to flight could this 3D buddy be.

Has anyone flown this airplane?? any coments?
Old 06-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Beardiedrg

Hey Vic Vic,

I personally have the following balsa 3d's. Buddy edge, original buddy, extreme flight yak, Cermark Banchee, Hobby Lobby Extra 330, Raidentech firebat, and others not worth typing. I've been flying for 20 plus years. I started flying profiles back in the early 90's when no-one cared about them. As far as my experience the original is the best flying plane I have.
I'm running the Himax 4200 gearbox with the 4.4.1 gearset. Kokam 1250 15c cells 3sp1. Hitec Optic computor radio Hs-55 servos and Hitec 5 channel recievers. The Himax 2812-850 also works well. apc 10-4.7 on the 2812 and apc 11-4.7 on the gearbox. Let me give you some advice. Make sure the plane parts are straight. I hot glued it together. I found the screw together method made it warped. I maxed out all throws without binding and run elevator-flap mixing on always. Use expo
say 50% on ailerons, some on the elevator and rudder. I've been flying extreme for awhile so I would tune it down at first.
What's really weird all my buddys, yak, required alot of right trim. It was balanced laterley. I fly the tail heavy and I can go upright to inverted flatspins back and forth, and with the Himax 4200 it will climb flatspinning at 1/2 throttle. I've been waiting for the Katana Buddy to ship. I'd buy them all. Hope this helps any other questions just ask. Oh, if you order the package deal which is good, order a spare gearbox and make sure the motor screws are tight, loctite (Blue)
Old 06-09-2005, 10:07 PM
VIC VIC

Thanks for the comments, i have one question, can this plane handle some wind?? where i'll be flying this plane its a bit windy, the good thing is that the wind is always in the same direction.

i already ordered it , i thought about ordering the spare gearbox but they were going to charge another chipping fee just for the box, i should have bought it anyway.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:07 AM
Beardiedrg

I live in Michigan and its always windy. If your fairly confident go for it. I fly them all the time when the gas fliers are chicken. Just take your time and get use to it and keep it high at first and be ready with right trim. I'm running about an inch between the left and right aileron. It doesn't seem to affect any flight manuevours.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Good choice, it won't be the last 3D electric you own, I promise....
Old 06-11-2005, 05:18 PM
WhtBronco

You'll be able to handle the Buddy if you can handle the Dazzler. Most of the 3D planes I ahve flown are only a real handful to fly when you set the control throws really high and make them real tail heavy. Set it up per the instructions and I'd bet you'll do fine.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:01 AM
VIC VIC

Thank you all, i'll send the pictures hoovering at 1cm form the ground hehe .
Old 06-17-2005, 12:53 AM
VIC VIC

hi all. I got my 3D Buddy Yesterday , it's almost finished, i'm a little bit worried about the Power system that came with the kit, the first thing that worries me is that i haven't been able to program the ESC, i followed all the instructions on the manual with no success , the ESC doesn't even enter in programming mode, i did what the manual says !QUOT!Switch on the transmitter and push the throttle stick to full throttle, Connect the motor battery pack and turn on the receiver (BEC) switch, Wait for 5 sec, you’ll hear tones; setup mode is entered: __ -- !QUOT! but ti never make those sounds, it does make a two tone sound when i turn it on at full throttle, but then it does not make the sounds it is suppose to make, different sounds for each programming step, i don't know what to do. This ESC comes pre-programed and that programation match what i'm using but i still want to know how to change the parameters.

Anyway for a while i accepted the fact that i can't program it so i decided to give it a try, i put the motor on a vise and connected to the battery (Ultra RC 3C 900mA, charged up to 12.5V), start the motor at 75%, after 4 minutes running continuously at 75% it started to fail (the speed was going up and down up and down, like humming), i stopped the motor, checked the voltage on the bat it was 10.4V checked the battery temperature it wasn't very hot (at touch) neither the motor, so stared to wonder i did i do wrong, cause from what i've read i should be able to fly for like 8 mins or so, then i noticed that the battery had expanded (that really scared me) is it normal that this battery expand after use??? or is something wrong with it?? like i said before the battery wasn't that hot. Is all this normal?? is it just that it draws the battery so fast?? help please, Does anyone knows how to program this ESC?? i'm new in electrics and this is the first time i try the LiPo batts.

[]
Old 06-17-2005, 04:43 AM
Beardiedrg

Hey,
goto there website and they have a download for it. The esc should be set up for what you have. I've got nine esc's phoenix,jetti, and the ultra rc one. I've left all at factory settings with no problems. Your battery probaly can't handle that continually.. I get about 10 minutes on the Kokam 1250 15c bats. with aggresive flying. You won't be flying at that capacity all the time.
What are you charging the packs with. I found the 25.00 polycharge from great planes works great. Are you running the 10 4.7 prop? Don't believe alot of hype about how long people get from the packs. Indoor flying is different from outdoor and winds affect the performance and prop size.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:27 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

If you have AeroFly Pro Deluxe you can now download the 3D Buddy Edge and Katana. Both fly as good as it can get. They are also probably the best looking RC sim aircraft ever created as well.

www.aeroflypro.com/download

Old 06-17-2005, 07:48 PM
VIC VIC

I went to the web page to find better manual but they have the same manual that is included with the kit, and i followed all the instructions but it just don't get in programming mode.

i'm using a home made charger, but it seems to be working preaty well. The batt i'm using (lipo 3C 900mH - 15C discharge) its recommended by Ultra RC so it should be able to handle the motor.

What about the expantion of the batt?? is it normal??
Old 06-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Beardiedrg

Buy a lipo charger before you burn something down. Your playing with a disaster buddy.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:50 AM
Beardiedrg

I forgot to say no it's not normal I hope your charging outside in a fire pit. With a homemade charger how are you regulating a constant current/ voltage of 900mah?????????????? You charge at it's rating no more. People are pushing these packs like nicads, and only disaster will result. Do it right order a lipo charger, like I said the towerhobbies polycharge works great at 25 bucks.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:22 AM
VIC VIC

I'm using the charger discussed in this forum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=130567

and i think its working fine, the problem is not the charge but the discharge, the battery expanded while it was on the plane, seems like just one cell of the three got a little bit "FAT" Programming the ESC?? anyone?? yesterday i was able to activate and desactivate the brake, but the i never heard the sounds that indicate the other parameters.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Beardiedrg

Old 06-27-2005, 09:29 PM
VIC VIC

Has anyone successfully programmed the ESC provided with this kit?? i`m having a lot of problems starting the motor.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:13 AM
Beardiedrg

Email Ultra Rc and ask them to email you the instructions. They did for me. I have a copy but it's a word doc and cannot upload or convert it
Old 06-29-2005, 05:46 PM
VIC VIC

where you able to re-program it?? cause i have the instructions but i can't program it.

i've sent like 4 e-mails the guy just answer the first one. they don't seem to be very helpful.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:55 PM
664KIX

Vic Vic,

I am curious as to why you wanted to re-program the speed control in the first place. I have the Original Buddy and mine was set-up right out of the box. Are you using a different motor combo?

I recently used the Buddy controller on another airplane and re-programmed the controller as I was using a different battery pack. Are you starting with the throttle at full throttle when you turn the radio on until you hear the beeps? Once you hear the beeps, you have to proceed through all the functions step-by-step until you find the items you want to change. You have to proceed all the way until the end for all the changes to take place. At least this is what I have found.

Hope this helps.

Ryan
Old 07-07-2005, 12:28 PM
VIC VIC

i've done what you say but it doesn't work, when i plug the battery with throttle full up, i can hear only one two tone beep, but the the other tones should come later right?? well i never heard other sound that the one at the beginning i've let the transmitter in the up position for like 5 minutes and nothing happens (other than the initial sound). i want to turn off the !QUOT!auto!QUOT! functions that comes in the original setup cause i've had problems with my motor since the beginning, always that i'm going to first start the motor when i plug the batt it does run right away i have to wait some time an play with throttle a little bit and then it just start working, don't know what else to do, that happens all the time, the motor star turning the prop on both directions really quick then stops, star again for some time, then it just start working normally. i've had really bad look with my 3D Buddy unfortunatly.

can anyone tell me where can i place a piece of video? so you can see what i'm talking about. i've sent the video to ultra RC but they are not answering my e-mails, that's not good.