Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

GREAT PLANES FLATOUTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:00 AM
hellblastervolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GREAT PLANES FLATOUTS

LOL, hey I will put it together for you I only charge one arf for myself, hehe Seriously get a balsa/ply arf if you don't want to deal with foam or get a plane made of EPP foam or Depron.

Fernando
Old 06-23-2008, 06:47 AM
wedgewing

Brad.

do you intend to use your flatout in gym competitions where every microscopic gram counts or do you want to use one for flying around on relatively calm days in a small area?

If is the latter, then Fernando is correct about the RCU Bipe. It is a great flyer. I fly mine outside in some really bad winds and made it less fragile by using some materials to strengthen weak areas. using some extra foam, I made some 1 inch square biscuits and glued them under the wing sliding them up the landing gear to keep the gear from tearing the wings on landing (that is a big repair preventer)

If you ever have used "zip ties" to hold something together, you can cut the locking end of of one and glue the remaining strip along the wing edges as a reinforcement (they come in many sizes, and you can even split them if you are worried about the weight). Even with a few ground loops, I have never lost a wing.

Same goes with using the zip ties (minus the square locking part) along the vertical and horizontal spines, especially near the center where the plane could get damaged from a stressful maneuver in the wind. I also ditched their carbon rods in favor of thin wire control rods I made from piano wire from the LHS. I also used different control horns, and on my second plane went with real light hinge tape for the wings. My plane was not heavy and can do all the tricks with ease, even with a 910 battery.

As for durability vs. a learning piolt, I just retired my last one after two years of flying it outdoors, and have another on the way. My first one I used to teach myself to fly with.

I fly a lot bigger stuff now Extra 330s from GP, Extra 260 from E Flite and have looked at the Reactor Bipe as well but haven't pulled the trigger yet. One thing I know is that the Reactor Bipe sure has the lines of the RCU Bipe. Of all the Flatouts, the strength of having the biplane set up makes it a good choice. They have gone down in price and I saw that Tower lowered it to 29

Good luck with whatever plane you are looking at. RCU Bipe is a good choice (if you
Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 AM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

thanks for the info,, if I do go electric again it will be to fly on calm days in a semi small area. Maybe like the local football practice field or something like that.