Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

ParkZone Typhoon Video.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

ParkZone Typhoon Video.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:57 AM
gibson_ryan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone Typhoon Video.

I should be getting mine on Thursday!!

...just not sure if it will be THIS month or NEXT...
Old 09-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Btaff
My Feedback: (3)

My Typhoon is in the mail. I ordered it from Horizon. I also ordered all the optional "hop-ups." The LiPO battery and celectra charger. I have had this thing on back order since, I think, May! This will be my first electric. I considered the Edge 540 from Park Flyers but prefer buying from horizon. Furthermore, the Typhoon has independent servos for the airlerons while the Edge does not. When I get it I'll post my review. I fly a Hangar 9 Twist with a OS .50 FX and and Funtana 40 with a Saito .82. I look forward to this new model very much!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Btaff

My Typhoon is in the mail. I ordered it from Horizon. I also ordered all the optional "hop-ups." The LiPO battery and celectra charger. I have had this thing on back order since, I think, May! This will be my first electric. I considered the Edge 540 from Park Flyers but prefer buying from horizon. Furthermore, the Typhoon has independent servos for the airlerons while the Edge does not. When I get it I'll post my review. I fly a Hangar 9 Twist with a OS .50 FX and and Funtana 40 with a Saito .82. I look forward to this new model very much!

Old 09-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Fisher

Btaff,

Hope all arrives soon and in good condition. All us cheapskates are waiting to see what you early buyers think of the plane. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Btaff

Should be getting it tomorrow! I'll post my initial impressions and a flight review.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Fisher

Well dribbe did not let the cat out of the bag but he sure gave us a peak into it. Take a look at his video of the almost final version of the Typhoon running the 3s TP LiPo. Looks good!

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Old 09-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Btaff

Awesome video! Thanks for posting the link. I hoping to master 3D flying with this plane. With my Funtana and Twist I'm still not able to master hovering. I'm hoping this kit will be the ticket.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Sportflyr
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Great Video Fisher! A far cry from PZ's vid!!

I am also looking for something new to fly on the golf course. What I can
gather is that the Typhoon and the Edge are really two different types of airplane.
The Typhoon seems to fly more like a flat foamie with a true airfoil. With more flat plate area
on the fuse sides, I would imagine this would give the Typhoon an advantge during knife edge type maneuvers.
The Typhoons control surfaces look bigger and with the dual servos on the ailerons, the Typhoon
will probably be a better 3D performer.

The PF Edge540T seems to fly more to scale than the proposed "3D aerobatic ready"
that is stated in the ad. More than likely the Edge will have a less responsive feel to
it and probably an overall speed advantage.

Either way both planes look great... I personally am going with the 540T as I prefer a
more scale style of flying like I get from my nitro aerobatic trainer. I also like the fact
the Edge comes with a Li-Po setup included, while the E-Flite Li-Po battery
upgrade alone for the Typhoon is almost $100.00!

I own a PZ Super Decath and HZ Aerobird Extreme and I really cannot tolerate the stock chargers anymore.
Due to FL heat inside of a vehicle, they just don't peak the batteries and it's rendered my Decath almost unflyable.
It looks like PZincludes a new charger with the P-51 and Typhoon though, maybe this is the answer to
those older chargers.

Good luck with the Typhoon Btaff...I'll be glued to the monitor today awaiting a summary on
what you thought about it![8D]
Old 10-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Btaff

Still waiting for it! Expected it today but no joy. Monday most likely.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Sportflyr
Banned

Yeah,

Weekends are never "shipped plane/parts" friendly are they?

Always comes in the middle of your work day when nobody's home!

Keep us posted. [8D]
Old 10-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Fisher

Sportflyr,

Just so there is no mistake, the video link I posted takes you to dribbe's video. I wish I could fly like that and get it on tape. The Typhoon definitely looks like it can hover.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:04 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

The LHS finally got these in! I got a first flight today with it.

Here's my impression: (Keep in mind I'm in my second year and have a ton of room to grow)

I noticed right off how sensitive and twitchy the controls were. I attributed this to two things: my inexperience, and no expo. I flew a half battery just general flight getting used to no expo, then I had some fun. Hover was easy, I even torque rolled for the first time. Snaps were ok, not fast, but I don't have the max amount of throw yet I could have. Knife edge was easy with little coupling. inverted flight was nearly hands off once I trimmed it out. Overall, I'm very happy - it's a twitchy little plane, but I'm sure I'll get used to that. Flight with mixed flying was about 12 minutes.

Complaints: I was able to find a Typhoon with my frequency, but the way PZ has the Rx set up is not standard to anything I'm using anyway. I could not get my Futaba 7C to run the thing. The throttle operates the ailerons, and I couldn't get the throttle to operate regardless of switching servo channels around. Anyone in the same boat and was able to figure it out, please let me know.

I have the HZ ABX that taught me to fly last season and now my 12 year old son is learning with it. That was $190, so this bird at $220 isn't bad IMO. I think it'll serve me well learning 3D. Now.... on to more batteries.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Me-109K4

To all you guys speculating on the Parkflyers Edge, don't buy it. It's the worst plane I've ever owned. Just yesterday the wing mount came off. This thing is nowhere near 3D, not even a pattern ship. It lacks the power to do anything at all, not even a loop. It's a very heavy aircraft for it's size, and you have to fly with a little speed to keep it in the air. The only positive thing I got out of it is that I only paid $150 on ebay.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Fisher

flymeaway,

Thanks for posting. Sounds like the plane performs (at least for you) as expected. Hope to get a first hand look at one soon. There is a post over on RC Groups regarding a jumper on the RX

I picked up a typhoon yesterday afternoon. Have about a dozen flights on it with Kokam 910 3S packs. Changed the batt connector to micro deans, as thats what I have on all my packs. The packs come out only slightly warm after about 8-9 min flights, so I doubt this setup is drawing much over 10 amps peak with the stock 13.5 prop. These packs are 3 oz's compared to the stock Nimh pack at 7 oz. I'm using my JR transmitter, with the stock PZ reciever, just changed the crystal and removed the jumper on the RX.

Me-109K4,

Sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience with your PF Edge. Sounds like it has been somewhat hit and miss with how each plane performs.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:59 PM
MR TBONE

We flew one today at the local flying field. Flew great and had lots of power running on the TP 2100's 3cell. Pulls about 12 amps. Hovers real nice and it handles windy gust great, prob due to it's size and weight compared to most electric 3D foamies. Very easy to fly. Would recomend to anybody new to 3D flying, or looking for a durable plane for poor weather that can 3D well in wind.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Leemata

After reading all of the posts on the Typhoon, I think I made the right choice having one on order through my LHS. Funny though that guys are already flying them in CA when I'm an hour & a half from the distributor with no call yet from the LHS in Mishawaka, IN. Oh well.

I do have one question that I haven't seen asked yet. Does the box display what radio channel is included? I'd like to stick with the same cahnnel I currently use for my other planes. Thanks!

Terry
Old 10-04-2005, 06:27 AM
pache11

Yes, the channel/frequency is displayed on a dot on one end of the box.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Fisher

Leemata,

Have you received yours yet? If so what do you think? If not, sorry.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:48 AM
gibson_ryan

I finally got mine! Unfortunately, it was a little too windy to fly yesterday. I did at least taxi it around a bit, and got a feel for the controls.

FIRST GLANCE:
Well built. I am impressed with what you get for your money. However, from past experience, I would expect no less from Parkzone. One of the first things you notice is that the wings are somewhat hollow. They have spars, which are not glued in, rather they are molded in as part of the wing. This open area is covered by a layer of mylar or similar material, which is secured by the rivets (of a sort) that fasten the aileron hinges to the wing. A carbon dowel runs about half way down the wings, and adjoins with the opposite wing, which has a slightly smaller carbon spar.

ASSEMBLY:
Durring assembly I only ran into one hiccup, which was attempting to install the landing gear. The fit was so tight that with two people, we had great difficulty installing it. We were trying not to bend the gear too much, which was our downfall. It simply needed to have a little more bend at the apex of the wire, which brought the sides in a bit. Once we did this, it popped in nice and snug. I would caution not to OVER bend though, since you don't want retractable gear on this plane.

PROBLEMS:
Kudos to Parkzone for putting a cotter pin on the front of the canopy to help hold it down, however, the only thing that I question about quality so far is the canopy hinge...which is made of the same material as the canopy, which is very thin and very fragile. Don't forget to put the cotter pin on the canopy before taxiing to the runway...the whole canopy may/will fly off, tearing at the hinge. Mine tore about half way through with a single 1/2 throttle burst. I plan on getting some of that flexible CA glue and beefing up the hinge tomorrow. I also plan on buying some more cotter pins. They are very small and nearly invisible, and without them you can forget about flying with the canopy.

POWER:
Since I didn't fly, I can't attest accurately to the power. However, with the 13.5" prop on, I think you could take off in about 10 feet at most. Holding the plane nose up, the plane is just at the hover point with full throttle at mid battery. I didn't think to try this at the beginning of the charge unfortunately. I don't know that you could pull a pure vertical ascent from a hover with the stock battery, you might need the LiPo. However, I am confident that you could easily accellerate in a 75 to 80 degree climb (ie. loop).

CONTROL:
Being a novice, I decided to set ALL of my controls to the least amount of throw, and from the little bit of air time that I got, I feel that it should fly pretty sanely on the lower dual-rate mode. With the dual rate switch flipped, I think I could do some pretty nice rolls and the like. I think you would have to be part computer to be able to handle full throw on the ailerons. For hovering, there is probably just the right amount of throw on the rudder and elevator at mid throw...perhaps even full throw if it is really windy and you know what the heck you are doing.

Anyway, I'm pretty impressed so far, now I just have to wait on the weather!

-Ryan
Old 10-07-2005, 12:43 PM
flymeaway

I also plan on buying some more cotter pins. They are very small and nearly invisible, and without them you can forget about flying with the canopy.
HINT: The cotter pin is black, and very small. My tailgate is black. My mind is forgetful. Secure it with fishline or something to the canopy after taking the battery out and driving away.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:13 PM
gibson_ryan

LOL Good idea!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Leemata

Fisher,

I picked mine up from the LHS in Mishawaka, IN (Southbend) on Tuesday afternoon. I have not had a chance to fly it yet.......maybe this weekend.

I think it looks cool & can't wait for my son & I to try it. I'm sure he'll do better than me with it. Have you flown yours?

Terry
Old 10-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Fisher

Leemata,

Have not flown mine since I do not have one yet. My LHS chargers a premium for shipping since we are in Alaska. I am also trying to hold out until Christmas so the family has something to get me. I never seem to want anything that I have not already purchased. Everything I have heard on the Typhoon indicates that it is well worth the money.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:10 PM
gibson_ryan

I finally got it up in the air. The Elevator is VERY sensitive, even in the lowest throw holes. It's going to take me a few batteries before I can even fly simple patterns I think. Definately not a beginners plane. Very happy with the stall resistance though. Nose-up flares, knife edge turns...doesn't even care as long as it has enough throttle to pull out...which is only about 1/4 throttle. I bet you could actually get about 15 minutes out of the stock battery if you were willing to just fly simple patterns. Don't get me wrong, I know that's not what this plane is designed for...but that's what *I* will be doing for a while, just to get a feel for the very touchy controls!

A question for you veterans. I was having quite a bit of glitchy-ness at one point, and acually maintained just barely enough control to land the thing in a soccer net (quite impressive acually, considering... [X(] As I was trying to figure out whether or not it was the plane or environmental interference, I noticed that it happened near a cyclone fence. Is this common, or do you think it was something else? It seemed to fly fine the rest of the time.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Jet Jaguar

does anybody know what the KV is on the motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.